UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: craigflannagan Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76112  
Subject: Re: Portfolio Allocation for age 35 Date: 2/13/2007 9:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Also, you say you are going to invest 60% in stocks. Do you have a lot of experience picking stocks? This is a time consuming and risky way to invest your money. Since you are just starting out, it would make more sense to work on building a diversified portfolio of low cost mutual funds.

Yes, I'm no stranger to picking stocks. I also subscribe to the MI (Mechanical Investing) concept with pretty good success rate. I know that some people are very opinionated about MI in general, but this is a portfolio allocation discussion :)

I'm not sure I like the idea of building the portfolio consisting mainly of mutual funds. This means I am in danger of being overdiversified and my returns will diminish (end up being closer to something like the S&P 500, if not under). But if I wanted to put my entire portfolio into mutual funds, I would probably have went with Janus' "Smart Growth Portfolio" option instead.

Remember, I'm building this portfolio to maximize "capital growth" which means I embrace higher risk at this point of my life. I also expect the portfolio to outperform S&P 500 index. I guess I should have mentioned that I have had some investing experience. It's not a question of if I'm comfortable with picking stocks (I am), it's a question of if I'm comfortable with my portfolio allocation (I am somewhat, but I value other people's feedback.)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Berkshire Beyond Buffett Event
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement