Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19224  
Subject: Re: Obama's war on consumers Date: 9/14/2013 12:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
alstro:"Plastic bags are seldom recycled. "

Says who? 90% of mine are returned to the store. The other 10% are used to hold real garbage that doesn't go down the pig , err, garbage disposal, like meat soaked paper trays, paper towels used to clean up spills or wipe the floor or counters.....

Did you ever try to use a paper bag to hold garbage? try putting in a bunch of wet paper towels, the paper under raspberries in the box, etc, into your 'paper bag' for garbage. ha.....

I use plastic garbage bags.

------

alstro:"Many end up in the ocean as part of large rafts of garbage or individually killing sea life or slowly degrading in landfills."

those rafts of garbage are mostly plastic consumer crap and bottles. Not bags. And if they degrade in land fills, who cares? I'm more worried about all the chemicals you likely throw away...shampoos, old medicines, empty spray cans - hair spray, paint, canola oil for cooking, and who knows what.

YOu realize it can take hundreds of years for PAPER to degrade in garbage dumps?

-----

alstro:" IMO we should be more conservative about wasting oil on bags...landfills are bursting with big plastic garbage bags that contain medium plastic kitchen garbage bags that contain smaller plastic shopping bags and ziplock or other very small bags."

Right? Let's pay loggers to use FOSSIL FUEL powered saws to cut down trees, then transport those trees with FOSSIL FUELS to the lumber mill, likely running on FOSSIL FUELS, then hauling the pulp to the paper mill with FOSSIL FUELS, and running the polluting paper mill (likely on fossil fuels again), and then carrying the finished 'product' from the paper mill to the distribution centers with FOSSIL FUELS, then carrying the paper bags from the distribution centers to the stores with FOSSIL FUELS.

You realize that plastic bags probably weigh 1/10th as much as paper bags? So 10 times as much energy is used to haul them, and almost no one re uses paper bags since they rip so easy from carrying much in them, or food 'leaks' and ruins them (and maybe the back seat of your car as well)......

Paper bags are hardly eco-friendly.

Oh, and I forgot the energy needed to plant all the new seedlings to replace the cut down forest trees.

----------
------

I'll continue to use plastic bags.

t.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement