No. of Recommendations: 2
Alternative tax generally comes about due to high deductions relative to income. In calculating your alternative tax, instead of several of the deductions you'd otherwise get for such expenses as property and state taxes, personal exemptions or, if applicable for you, the standard deduction, you get a standard AMT deduction and then a flat tax rate of 26% or 28%.

For most taxpayers, the only income 'preference' item, (income not subject to regular income tax but income for calculating alternative tax), is interest received on revenue, or income, or private activity bonds (these are different names for the same thing). The bonds you've mentioned, if issued by your state, are general obligation bonds, which are backed by the taxing authority of the goverment that issued them, so they will not be income for calculating your alternative minimum tax.

However, capital gains on these bonds will be includable as income for regular and alternative tax

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.