UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1483  
Subject: Re: Any stress with bare bones? Date: 5/26/2004 7:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Although I can live well on that I'm beginning to question if living on bare bones would cause me stress?

Money doesn't buy you happiness, but IMO it can reduce stress. I think there are people out there who will never be happy no matter how much money they have, and those for whom no cash cushion will ever be large enough. When you think about it, what we are shooting for is very ambitious. There is so much that is out of our control, yet the very nature of early retirement is our taking control of our future. A bit frightening in and of itself for us control freaks.

I look forward to the point where our nest egg is significant enough that what we earn is gravy. Given medical issues for DH who has been a type I diabetic since the age of 13, we face more uncertainty than most and will have to minimally wait until retiree health benefits are secure, currently at age 55. Since we are both savers by nature, I suspect that means our cash cushion will be significant at that point. However, we will not keep on working that extra year or two for the (insert your favorite luxury here.) The luxury I'm looking forward to most is spending as much time with him as I'm allowed, something which can't be bought.

InParadise
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement