UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: davefeatherstone Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1856  
Subject: Re: My thoughts on it so far... Date: 2/10/2000 7:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Although the "scientific journal" critique method is to profer only negative comments, was anything laudable? Take the perspective of an investor new to biotech. He or she has talking heads on ever side and sees ticker symbols on CNBC. Then they see a stock chart showing 200% gain in three months. They know nothing about the science, FDA process, etc. They want to be able to invest in biotech but are too frightened because its "complicated."

Sorry Greg. Didn't mean to discourage you. It's obviously easier to pick apart someone else's work than match it yourself from scratch.

Basically, I think your report is great. I think anyone could benefit from reading it. Especially, I think any investor would do well to read it before first putting money into this sector. These are NOT internet stocks. They are NOT computer or communication stocks. Biotech investing is fundamentally different because to stay ahead, you have to think about the companies' product lines a decade down the road. I think, for example, that it's a horror that some people obviously bought Celera without knowing what they did, that they had no products yet, etc. And then (worse!) some of these people realized that and sold a good investment. With your report, maybe the short-termers wouldn't have gotten in, and the long-termers wouldn't have gotten out.

Overall, you have done a great job of defining what biotech companies 'do', and how profits unfold. Furthermore, you do a great job of inventing and presenting some objective criteria to rank potential 'investees'.

The detailed nature of my comments should signal that your report got me interested and thinking, and was therefore pretty darn good. If it had been a bunch of crap, I would have had a hard time coming up with specific things to suggest or comment on.

If you want an endorsement, I'd be happy to give one.
Once I finish reading, if you want me to write a product review and send it in (or perhaps wait for the next version), I'll do it happily.

Despite my reservation about doing these sorts of things in general, I think a link to the product description of your report would be fine on the biotech-related boards. Perhaps under a link like: "Fool mart products for Biotechnology board readers..." I would LOVE to go to the mechanical investing board, for example, or to a TA board, and see not only a FAQ, but also easy-to-find links to some literature on the subject. Propose this to the TMF guys; I'll support it.

[Another note to TMFstaffers: I think the 'product reviews' should be right there with the product description and order link, or at least directly accessible. In fact, the whole fool mart seems to have grown haphazrdly and could use some reorganization. How you expect to sell stuff if we have to work so hard?]

Seriously. Great document. But sure, like almost anything, it could be better. I hope my comments help, and I hope you make shitloads of money.

Keep at it. This sounds condescending, but really -- I think you're doing fine. I'm no guru anyway, just an opinionated postdoc dorking around procrasinating on experiments or waiting for sequence alignments and stuff.

-Dave

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement