UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: globalist2013 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35400  
Subject: Re: good time to get rid of some stuff & TLT/SHV Date: 1/10/2013 1:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
altstrat,

I’m done buying for the day (3 adds). So I can chat a bit.

If you’re not exercising daily, as in, at least an hour or so of sweaty exercise, you’re doing two bad things. #1, you’re compromising your ability to perform well when you’re doing your screen time. #2, you’re exchanging something far more important (namely, health) for something (i.e., money) that won’t do you a bit of good if you aren’t healthy. Get your butt out of the office every day, rain or shine, sleet or snow. Every day. Trading is a high-stress, high-performance sport that requires both mental and physical fitness. What those miles on foot or on a bike allow your body to do is to heal from the damage you do to it from investing/trading, an activity we humans weren’t meant to do (and generally don’t do well).

As far as having a viable system, but failing to utilize it properly, that’s the one constant theme you hear from trading coaches. The system has to match the trader’s personality exactly, or it won’t be used. I did my first stock trade when I was ten and dabbled at the edges of investing since. But it wasn’t until the fall of ’99 that I began to find my niche. Stocks were soaring, but I knew the moves wouldn’t/couldn’t last, and I began rotating my efforts into bonds, cautiously, timidly, one tiny step at time. But about a year into the gig, one afternoon after the market had closed, I was just relaxing, feet propped on the desk, the sunshine streaming through the windows of my office, and I was reading Van Tharp on position-sizing and risk-management, and suddenly, like Paul on the road to Damascus, I had a flash of insight on how I could pair together a couple of things conventionally not done and build a bond-investing system. I knew then and there, with total assurance, I could make it work. It was one of those rare, magic moments where intuition trumps explicit thinking, where “feel” determines action. I "knew" I was right, and I knew I didn't have to "explain it", because it was so obvious.

In short, I had found my 'edge', and I haven’t looked back. What I do with bonds matches my Meyers-Briggs type exactly, which is why I’m willing to put in the hours I do, which is why I don’t find them onerous, and which is why I’m good at what I do. I’m just “being myself”, and the bond market, in turn, has been more than kind and forgiving as she taught me what I needed to learn.

Get out there walkin’ or bikin’. It’s really, really important.

Charlie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement