UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: globalist2013 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35387  
Subject: Re: good time to get rid of some stuff & TLT/SHV Date: 1/9/2013 3:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
altstrat,

Through E*Trade, I've got access to Moodys bond reports, but not SP's, though on occasion, I've pulled the SP stock report to get a sense of a company and its industry. Yeah, I'd like to have access to more sources of info. But I'm a tiny, tiny, tiny retail account who can't pay for research. (My AUM still is under $1 Million, though I'm on track to earn my "accredited investor" label soon enough.)

Also, with regard to "info", there's a strategic and tactical problem well-summarized by the quip, "The man who has two watches never knows what time it really is." Sometimes, 'less' really is 'more'. But the one thing I really would like to have is more historical data on T&S than FINRA currently provides, which is merely a 1-year look-back. But the bond game is what it is. So you play it on its terms, or you don't play.

"Would I make better money if I had better info sources?"

I really doubt it. The key to winning any betting game (stock betting, bond betting, currency betting, commodities betting) is knowing who you are. Of the triad, Money-Market-Mind, the trader (her or himself) is the weak link. It is he (or she) who creates his or her wins and losses, not markets, and certainly not by having more or less data/information than competitors but --as Marty Whitman argues-- using the same info in superior ways. Even just the traditional methods and traditional techniques (EOD prices, chart paper, pencil, and ruler) are all one needs to makes more money than one could ever spend. And there's guys still in this country doing that. Almost no one has heard of them. But they're doing amazing things, like turning $5k into $15 million in a dozen years with audited records to prove it.

Yeah, today was good day. Now I'm ready for my bike ride.

Charlie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement