No. of Recommendations: 5
Earlier today I went to purchase gasoline at an Exxon Mobil station. The card I tried to use was my ExxonMobil reward MasterCard. The employee there refused to run an authorization for my credit card. I had to use my Visa Cash Back rewards card. If the ExxonMobil MasterCard had been my only credit card, I would have not been able to purchase gasoline.

I called the 800 number on the back of the card. The customer service agent said there was absolutely nothing wrong with my account. I had him check to see if the card had been put through the authorization/rejection system, he said no. The customer service agent said that if there had been a transaction request, it would have gone through instantly. He said the dealership was at fault for refusing my card without cause. I took the employee info., location, etc. and filed a complaint with the station management.

Adam
a07843
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Did the employee explain why he refused your first credit card?
Did the employee explain why he refused your first credit card?

No. He just muttered something at me using an angry tone in another language.
Since I use an ExxonMobil MC at Exxon and Mobil stations most of the time, I'll be interested in hearing what you find out.

Hmm... I wonder if the station owner has to contribute part of the rebate. As you know, the rebate is 3% on purchases from Exxon and Mobil, but only 1% everywhere else. I thought that the rebate came entirely from the corporation, but maybe the station is charged for part of it. If so, it would explain why they would refuse the card, but regardless of the reason I think both ExxonMobil and Citibank would like to know about it.
Hmmm... that guy sounds strange, I would definitely complain about that service!

On the other hand, there's several reasons I carry more than 1 card:

I've had a card declined for no apparent reason. Later I call and ask why, and they said it wasn't (like your story). This happened at different places, and at least once in a self-swipe machine. This happened with 2 different cards.

I had a card not work one day--turned out bank went out of business.

I had a card not work one day--seems the bank decided to replace all Visas with Mastercards, and my new one was in the mail, they deactivated the old without telling me.

I had a magnetic strip fail to work, and cashier had never seen that before and couldn't figure out how to type in the numbers. Sure, she could call the manager, but the store was very busy and crowded, and I didn't want to spend the next half hour there. "Here, use this one" was faster.

tab
TchrP,

I wrote a letter to the station manager, and sent a CC to the corporate HQ in Texas.
No. of Recommendations: 1
tab,

I used to be a cashier at a retail store before I went to college. One of my most interesting credit card incidents happened when someone's $700 purchase came up to call for authorization. Most people at the store charged from $50 to $200. The customer said she was from a small Central American country and did not know why her card didn't work when she came to the U.S. While the call was going on, I noticed the undercover store detective watching the whole thing very closely from the other line of customers for another register.

I wound up being transferred from the bank to the police department. Turns out the card was fake, and the police were waiting outside the store to take the person away. They wanted me to keep the 'customer' in the store as long as possible for them to get their officers in place.
My Discover card was declined after I used it twice between 1am and 2am one morning. They claimed they did not notify me because it was the wrong time of day to call. My account has an email link. It would have been trivial to notify me.

Debra
I wrote a letter to the station manager, and sent a CC to the corporate HQ in Texas.

Good for you. You might also send a copy to Citibank, since it was their card that was refused.

Earlier today I went to purchase gasoline at an Exxon Mobil station. The card I tried to use was my ExxonMobil reward MasterCard. The employee there refused to run an authorization for my credit card. I

Was your card signed on the back? I've had this happen to me also a while back. The clerk took the card, and it wasn't signed, so they wouldn't take it. At all - period. Not even if I signed it in front of the clerk. I would have thought a valid ID and my signing it in front of the clerk would be enough, and even that wouldn't work he said.

I suppose I could have walked out - signed the card, then walked back in. But I wound up paying cash.

Weird laws and rules.
No. of Recommendations: 1
mrbol,

The employee didn't even look at the back of my credit card. I sign all my cards immediately when I receive them, so that isn't an issue for me.

I used to be a cashier, and had incidents where people didn't sign their card. One time, I had someone who signed the receipt with a totally different signature than what was on the card. The manager was called over, and he questioned the customer about the incident. It was very suspicious.

For the times when people didn't sign the back of the card, I was told to get the manager to come over. Most of the time, the manager would read the statement on the back that said "not valid unless signed". The store doesn't want to be held liable in case the card is stolen. I always felt very uneasy whenever someone wanted to sign it in front of me. Once someone tried to use other credit cards as ID. I told her that is not any kind of valid identification.

Adam
a07843
The store doesn't want to be held liable in case the card is stolen. I always felt very uneasy whenever someone wanted to sign it in front of me.

I've forgotten to sign cards 3 times, each time it was noticed, I was asked by the cashier to sign it right there, then they'd let me use it. I always thought it was strange.

tab
Whenever I work the register and there no signature I always ask for a drivers licence. If they have no proof its really them then the sale is post voided.

However most interesting is some stores I go to don't even ask for a signature for a sale when I use my check card or ax blue card . It's like they don't care.

I've forgotten to sign cards 3 times, each time it was noticed, I was asked by the cashier to sign it right there, then they'd let me use it. I always thought it was strange

I know someone who prints on the back of all her CCs "Check ID" in block letters.

I've been with her a few times when she used the CCs and they were taken with no problems. She says she has had a few people ask for her ID and then they accepted the card.

I believe that they are not supposed to take the card unless it is signed though.
mrbol wrote,

I know someone who prints on the back of all her CCs "Check ID" in block letters.

I've been with her a few times when she used the CCs and they were taken with no problems. She says she has had a few people ask for her ID and then they accepted the card.

I believe that they are not supposed to take the card unless it is signed though.

I do the exact same thing. Technically speaking, the card should not be accepted as I think all of the credit cards have a note on the back that the card is not valid unless signed.

In the years I have been doing this, the card was refused one time at the Post Office. They said they could not accept the card. The majority of the time, the cashiers do not check for an ID at all. If I had to make a guess, I would say maybe 5% of the cashiers ask for an ID to confirm the identity.

I started doing this after a card was used fraudulently. In my opinion, it can help prevent someone from using it because there is the chance they will be asked for ID. Also, it does not allow the person to attempt to copy my signature because they do not have it.

Personally, I do this with all my cards and will accept the possibility that my card will not be accepted.

dt
I've forgotten to sign cards 3 times, each time it was noticed, I was asked by the cashier to sign it right there, then they'd let me use it. I always thought it was strange.

I've had occasion to do this myself. However, in my case, it goes a step further - the cashier then compared the signatures (the one on the slip, and the card that I had just signed).?!?!?

-Steve
No. of Recommendations: 2
the cashier then compared the signatures (the one on the slip, and the card that I had just signed).?!?!?

I know, I know--this has happened to me, too. Hilarious, isn't it?

But, I've also been on the other side of that register, and you'd be amazed just how programmed-in certain things become. Your body simply goes through its routine, see person sign, take slip, compare to card, OK, hand back receipt copy to customer, smile, thank you, next in line please?. Sort of like those days when you drive across town and, on reaching your destination, you don't remember the drive at all.

I guess what I'm saying is, the incidents you describe don't necessarily mean the cashier is dumb (although it doesn't rule that out, either). He or she is very likely just in the Checkout Zone. :-)

Mare
alumni of the Barnes & Noble register shift
Advertisement