Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Am I better to send the money I think I owe now but file an extension for the return(can I do this)?

Yes, you can do that.

file the return as is and send the payment,assuming an amended return later or just hope I get it done before 4/15 ?

I would avoid the last choice. Either of the other two are perfectly fine. If it were me, I'd file for the extension and pay what I think I owed. The key here is that you need to pay roughly what you owe by April 15.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.