UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5741  
Subject: Re: Living Trusts/Executorship of Estate Date: 3/20/2006 12:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Am I correct in assuming an unlimited exemption means my mom won't pay any taxes on her portion? Nor his kids from his lifetime exemption? Can that be dolled out to 3 people?

No. You're mixing it up. Only a spouse can inherit any amount of property with no taxes due. The lifetime exemption kicks in when anyone other than a spouse inherits, and that includes children. This is one reason that spouses who may be subject to estate tax generally make sure they don't leave their property directly to their spouse, or they lose one exemption when the 2nd spouse dies.

To illustrate, Spouse A and B have an estate valued at $5 million. Spouse A dies and leaves everything to Spouse B which B inherits without any estate tax being due. When B dies and leaves everything to the kids, B's lifetime exemption [I think it's 2 million right now, but am not sure, but let's use that for my example], the first $2 million passes to the kids tax free because they use B's lifetime exemption, but the remaining $3 million is subject to estate taxes.

If A and B had done some estate planning, then when A died, $2million would have been placed in a trust for the benefit of B, and the remaining $3 million would got to B, still tax free. B can access any of the $5million in assets, so still has control of that and can benefit from that. When B dies, the $2million in the trust from A can then be used for the benefit of the kids, but note that it didn't belong to B, so there's no estate tax. And there's another $2million that is passed to the kids free of estate taxes to use up B's lifetime exemption leaving the kids with $1million subject to estate taxes instead of the $3million in the above example.

Making proper use of the lifetime exemption is a key component to good estate planning, and can save the heirs quite a lot of money.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement