UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ksherman Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Am I doing too much Date: 8/28/2000 5:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am curious to get opinions from others on my current investment/retirement contributions. Am I doing too much or how can I do better. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Here are the facts:
I am 30 yrs old and married.
My husband & I contribute 15% to each of our employees 401K.
I contribute 10% to my work employee stock purchase plan .
My husband and I have separate IRA's and contribute $166/month.
My husband and I contribute $50/month to a mutual fund.
We have no credit card debt.
The only 'big' bill we have is a monthly mortgage.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JDWinNOLA One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24427 of 74759
Subject: Re: Am I doing too much Date: 8/28/2000 7:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I wish my wife and I had been this diligent in our early years. I did not start serious saving for retirement until I was 40.

Questions: 1. Are your IRAs in stocks? 2. Is your mutual fund a no load index fund? They should be.

Good luck.

Jim in New Orleans

Author: BGPenhollo Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24455 of 74759
Subject: Re: Am I doing too much Date: 8/29/2000 5:19 PM
ksherman posted...

"I am 30 yrs old and married.
My husband & I contribute 15% to each of our employees 401K.
I contribute 10% to my work employee stock purchase plan .
My husband and I have separate IRA's and contribute $166/month.
My husband and I contribute $50/month to a mutual fund.
We have no credit card debt.
The only 'big' bill we have is a monthly mortgage."

The percent amounts you are both saving is impressive.

Asking if you are saving too much is kind of like asking if you are making too much (grin)? Probably not.

The real question is what are you investing in?

in your 30's, you should be able to weather much greater risks. So I hope you are not putting a majority of your savings in CD's, bonds, treasuries, or GIC.

Try to assess your tolerance to risk and then try to invest as aggressively as you can. If lucky or good, you stand an excellent chance of retiring in your 40's or 50's.

Good job and Good Luck.

BGP

Author: mdorsey One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24483 of 74759
Subject: Re: Am I doing too much Date: 8/30/2000 2:35 PM
Are you enjoying life? Do you want for anything? What is your current tax bracket compared to your estimated retirement tax bracket? I believe there is a point at which tax deferred means you wind up paying more tax and sacrificed for nothing.

Author: RiverCityFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24512 of 74759
Subject: Re: Am I doing too much Date: 8/31/2000 10:59 AM
You say:
"My husband & I contribute 15% to each of our employees 401K."
Is this the max that your employers will match? If so, great. If not, I'd contribute up to the max they will match.

"I contribute 10% to my work employee stock purchase plan."
Assuming your company's stock is a good buy, this sounds good.

"My husband and I have separate IRA's and contribute $166/month."
Sounds good.

"My husband and I contribute $50/month to a mutual fund."
You might want to up this if you can. And are you satisfied with the mutual fund's return? Is it no-load?

"We have no credit card debt. The only 'big' bill we have is a monthly mortgage."
Hurray!

About the only thing I'd consider for more/different investing would be the monthly mutual fund. My husband and I contribute $200 monthly to Vanguard's S&P 500 Index fund -- very low fees, good return.

Also, be sure you have a readily accessible emergency fund, perhaps a money market.

You could also begin to investigate some individual stocks if you have the time and inclination.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement