Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14644  
Subject: Re: FKA: VL forward estimates Date: 8/21/2013 1:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1

Amazon are still managing the company for sales growth and ignoring earnings.
If they manage for earnings, they will probably be able to make a reasonable profit.
Not reasonable compared to their market valuation, but in absolute terms quite a lot of money.
But their sales growth will stall if they do because it means raising prices, and their
shareholder base which has been trained to focus on nothing but the top line might bail, crushing the share price.
But the interesting thing will be how much their sales actually fall
off if/when they are no longer price leaders.
We may never know, if they never try to make a profit.

Jim,

This is the ultimate definition of economic insanity.

We have very few discussions of economic profits v. accounting profits here on the fool. Economic profits philosophically matter greatly. An industry's or company's economics allow it a long term viability with certain realities or parameters for how large and profitable it will be. Amazon is a case of no economic profits. I wonder if they are a total loss in fact because of their economic model.

We are seeing new materials in nano tech such as nano lines. They have huge strength to size ratio never seen before, this is like the internet business model in that we are seeing new properties in economics. It seems Amazon can go on and on with no profits. I would either call that a great strength or a great weakness. In fact I would call it both.

If it all comes crashing down I would in hindsight call it neither a strength nor a weakness, and I wont be surprised. My timing with Amazon's demise is not even that of broken watch which is right twice a day. I have always been wrong about Amazon. For now Amazon is a massive success, but if it fails it only will fail once.

Dave
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement