Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Isn't it great to have your taxes done? Well, almost. While doing my 1997 return, I discovered that I failed to report the sale of some stock on my 1996 return. Now, I know that the best thing to do is to file an admended return.

But...the sale was a result of the ATT spin off of Lucent. They distributed whole shares and paid cash for partial shares. The proceeds from the sale were a total of $2.46. I haven't calculated the cost basis for the partial share that was sold. I accummulated the ATT through their DRIP over a 20 year period, and I'm not looking forward to the calculation. Its possible that I even had a gain on the sale. I know this doesn't matter and that I should file an amended return. Even with a $0.00 cost basis the most I would owe is $.76 plus interest and penalties. And it is very likely that there is no tax liability. To me the amounts just don't seem material.

So any opinions on whether I should go through all the work of filing the amended return now, or just wait until the IRS sends out the notification letter that I owe them $.76 plus interest and penalties?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.