Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a question concerning the tax return I just filed. Last year (1996) when I filed my taxes, I had to pay $536 upon filing my state tax return. I have always itemized deductions including 1996 and 1997. After I filed my 1997 return I started thinking that I could of (should of) added in (somewhere on schedule A) the $536 extra I paid in state taxes last year for 1996. I used Turbo Tax, but somehow it didn't remind me of this deduction, if it is a legitimate deduction. I didn't use TTax for my state return since its so simple compared to the federal return. Should I have been able to deduct the state tax paid last year on schedule A and if so where on schedule A should it go? Also is there any penalty for filing an amended tax return?

Thank fo any help
Rusty Nelson
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.