Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SirTas Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Amended return Date: 3/22/2003 3:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was planning to amend my 1999 tax return and I got a copy of the form (1040X), which was only one page and seemed very simple. But the instructions that went with the form say that I am to submit all the accompanying schedules and, apparently, a brand new complete tax return for that year. Yikes! So what I'm thinking now is to photocopy the old forms and schedules that remain unchanged, and fill out some new forms and schedules for the parts that have changed. Does this sound right?

TIA

--SirTas
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64620 of 121061
Subject: Re: Amended return Date: 3/22/2003 3:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I was planning to amend my 1999 tax return and I got a copy of the form (1040X), which was only one page and seemed very simple. But the instructions that went with the form say that I am to submit all the accompanying schedules and, apparently, a brand new complete tax return for that year.

I think you misread something. You need attach only those forms and schedules that changed and the change is not completely explained on the 1040X. For example, if AGI changes tax will change, but you don't have to include a copy of the back of the 1040.

If you like, feel free to post or e-mail your description of changes and I'll be glad to tell you what needs to be attached.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

Author: SirTas Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64627 of 121061
Subject: Re: Amended return Date: 3/22/2003 8:56 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks, Phil! The change is that I file jointly with my wife, but I understated her SEP contribution for that year. (I put in too low a number.) So AGI (and lots of other stuff, I suppose) will change.

One odd thing is that DW is self-employed and I fill out a Schedule C for her, but the SEP amount comes off the 1040, and seems to have no impact on Schedule C, and self-employment tax.

An added complication that I didn't mention last time is that the numbers on the original return were changed by the IRS one time. (We got a letter.) So what I think I should do now is use their final numbers wherever they are different from my original numbers.

I don't have the instructions with me right now, but I seem to remember that any form or schedule I send them should have "AMENDED" printed at the top.

But now I wonder whether I really do have to send them amended forms(?)

--SirTas

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64628 of 121061
Subject: Re: Amended return Date: 3/23/2003 1:00 AM
Recommendations: 1
The change is that I file jointly with my wife, but I understated her SEP contribution for that year. (I put in too low a number.) So AGI (and lots of other stuff, I suppose) will change.

One odd thing is that DW is self-employed and I fill out a Schedule C for her, but the SEP amount comes off the 1040, and seems to have no impact on Schedule C, and self-employment tax.

An added complication that I didn't mention last time is that the numbers on the original return were changed by the IRS one time.

Use the IRS adjusted figures as the "previous" figures. Since you can explain the change in AGI as a change in the SEP contribution, I don't think you need any supporting forms.

Phil

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement