Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Opv1419 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Amended Tax Return Date: 7/31/2012 10:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What specifically is required in order to file an amended return? Is the 1040x (with attached schedules) the only form that's needed, or does one have to complete a complete new 1040 in addition to the 1040x?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116480 of 121061
Subject: Re: Amended Tax Return Date: 7/31/2012 11:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
What specifically is required in order to file an amended return?

In all cases Form 1040X.

Never include a new 1040. Anything that changes there is reflected on the 1040X.

If any Schedule or attachment changes, a copy of the new one.

If you use software make sure to check the software instructions before you start. You'll wind up with an amended 1040, so make sure it's properly labeled so you don't confuse it with the original filing.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: Opv1419 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116486 of 121061
Subject: Re: Amended Tax Return Date: 8/1/2012 11:34 AM
Thanks. There are no changes that will effect the amount of taxes due or the amount of the refund for the current year. The change only adds some capital loss carry-over. So, it (hopefully) shouldn't be all that difficult of a process.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116487 of 121061
Subject: Re: Amended Tax Return Date: 8/1/2012 11:51 AM
Recommendations: 1
The change only adds some capital loss carry-over. So, it (hopefully) shouldn't be all that difficult of a process.

Easy peasy. No changes to the numbers on the 1040X, attach the amended Schedule D, and you're done.

Don't forget the state even though nothing changes. They no doubt require you to amend if you amend the Federal.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: Opv1419 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116488 of 121061
Subject: Re: Amended Tax Return Date: 8/1/2012 4:34 PM
Thanks.

Author: jgxoxo One star, 50 posts Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116489 of 121061
Subject: Re: Amended Tax Return Date: 8/1/2012 11:21 PM
While you're on the subject, I filed my 2011 taxes before receiving that MLP special thingy I now know is one of the hassles involved with this kind of investment. As it only listed something about an appx. $2300 depreciation value. I haven't filed an amended return. I figure it is my loss if I fail to do so and not the IRS's. But am I wrong here?

jackie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement