Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am in the situation of wanting to file amended returns for 1995 and 1996 due to a capital loss which was not reported in 1995. I know I need to file 2 copies of 1040-X, one for each year, and also a Schedule D for each year.

Here's the question. In 1995, I used 1040-EZ rather than 1040. Since 1040-EZ cannot be used when filing a Schedule D, do I need to also submit a newly filled out 1995 1040 as well?

My brother and sister are in the same situation (of needing to amend returns due to the 1995 loss), but their earned income in 95 was low enough that they did not file tax returns for that year. I am guessing that in addition to the 1040-X and Sch D, we will have to fill out a 1995 form 1040 for each of them. Is this correct?

Is there any other thing I may be missing? I'm aware of the 3 year deadline for filing amended returns.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.