Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: Amending separate to joint Date: 6/6/2012 9:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In all my years of practice, I've never had to amend separate tax returns to a joint return. I've known for many, many years that it is allowed (and the reverse, from joint to separate is not), but I've never actually done one.

One seemingly simple question that I just cannot find an answer to: What amounts do you put in column A? Just the husband's? Just the wife's? The combination of both even though there is no tax return with those numbers on it?

Thanks for any help.

--Peter
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116231 of 121114
Subject: Re: Amending separate to joint Date: 6/6/2012 11:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
One seemingly simple question that I just cannot find an answer to: What amounts do you put in column A?

The numbers from the first-listed spouse's return, as preiously adjusted if applicable. The spouse's numbers and any other adjustments go in B.

I assume you use software to do this. The most important thing is to start by reading your software's instructions several times. The IRS revamped the form a couple of years ago, and the whole approach in software changed with it. I'm finally getting the hang of amended returns in general, but it's been a struggle.

You might also want to take a look at the IRS form and instructions, both of which have been recently revised.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement