UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 62051  
Subject: American "exceptionalism" Date: 9/1/2012 10:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
See the whole post, but I have copied a wonderful part of it below
x-post from sandyleelee
http://boards.fool.com/american-quotexceptionalismquot-30238...

As one who has travelled fairly widely, I can attest to the fact that there are many wonderful things about America which make her unique in some ways. I can also attest, however, to the fact that the same thing is true of Croatia, France, New Zealand, Italy, Tanzania, Scotland, The Netherlands, South Africa . . . and many others. This is no doubt true of every nation on the planet.

We are not a nation of kings, destined to rule the world. We are but one of many nations, all citizens of the Earth, all equally entitled to the same basic necessities of life, all contributing in our various splendid ways to the rich tapestry of life on this planet. We each have our own virtues and vices, our own brillance and stupidities. We are nothing more than one of the thousands of ways in which mankind has expressed his need to organize societies -- and societies exist precisely for the purpose of cooperation among their members to ensure survival.

We are both special and ordinary. As are all other nations. The American ego notwithstanding.

SLL
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45146 of 62051
Subject: Re: American "exceptionalism" Date: 9/1/2012 11:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Y'know, Linda, if I wanted toread Political Asylum, or Atheist Fools, or Climate Change, I know how to find those boards.

Count Upp

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45147 of 62051
Subject: Re: American "exceptionalism" Date: 9/1/2012 11:24 PM
Recommendations: 3
Y'know, Linda, if I wanted toread Political Asylum, or Atheist Fools, or Climate Change, I know how to find those boards.
Count Upp
------------------------
Ok, fair enough. I like to repost things like this because I know my brother won't go to PA, but I am having a very difficult time understanding how this is that political and not just a great thing to think about. Do you disagree with it? If you've already read it, was it that aggravating to just click next?

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45148 of 62051
Subject: Re: American "exceptionalism" Date: 9/1/2012 11:37 PM
Recommendations: 1
Ok, fair enough. I like to repost things like this because I know my brother won't go to PA, but I am having a very difficult time understanding how this is that political and not just a great thing to think about. Do you disagree with it? If you've already read it, was it that aggravating to just click next?

SLL is a very talented writer. No, I don't disagree with the her post. I didn't say it was political, did I?

Besides, it's more than just clicking next. First I click to see what you have posted. Then I have to go back to your post, and only then do I get to click next. Hey, we are busy people here!

8^)

Count Upp
... Not a big deal, but we all have access. If Art doesn't chose to read PA, or AF, who cares?

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45149 of 62051
Subject: Re: American "exceptionalism" Date: 9/1/2012 11:38 PM
Recommendations: 0
Count Upp
... Not a big deal, but we all have access. If Art doesn't chose to read PA, or AF, who cares?

Besides, did you mean irritating instead of aggravating?

8^)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement