Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In May of this year (2009), I had a high-efficiency gas boiler installed in my home (efficiency greater than 93%) that seems to qualify for up to $1500 tax credit. I tried to see how to declare it on my tax return for this fiscal year, but I may be too early to find out. I was wondering what information the government will require about this.

I suppose there will be a new line on page 2 of the 1040 form, since it is a credit, not a deduction that might go on Schedule A (I think it is).

Will I need specific forms issued by the boiler manufacturer? Forms from my heating contractor? Is the contractor's bill (marked paid) enough? Etc.?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.