Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Suska1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 22938  
Subject: American Statistics Date: 7/21/2010 2:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Goofyhoofy suggested I post this here

Synchronicity. He's excellent with these kinds of statistics, using publicly available databases to find out all sorts of things.

I am an artist, but I think you'll find that it only takes a little bit of patient explanation for me to grasp complicated matters. Economics is very complex and specialized. I need some help to achieve a specific task. This is what I'm looking for at the moment:

Current figures for net worth of individuals in America, including population distribution of said net worth. preferably inflation adjusted dollars, but not necessarily. The goal of which is to produce a very clear economic portrait of America. This is my specialty; information design. The results of which I will be happy to share publicly provided they appear to be a fair assessment.

Now I'm aware that Wikipedia has some accessible numbers and it seems like they may have the makings of such a description, however I am too ignorant to understand how such a thing might be derived or whether or not I'm going to wind up leaning on unreliable numbers.

Thank you for your consideration. If I can achieve this goal I intend to move on to other similar projects; corporate wealth and historical wealth in particular.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: WallyLock Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18380 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/21/2010 2:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
A quick response:

For distribution:

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/wealth/2004/wlth04-4.html

Related information:

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/wealth/2004_tables.html

Wally

Author: wound Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18381 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/21/2010 2:27 PM
Recommendations: 4
I believe sync just wet his pants.

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18382 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/21/2010 2:33 PM
Recommendations: 1
I'm sure he already Has a Spreadsheet.

:)

Ishtar

Author: WallyLock Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18383 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/21/2010 2:35 PM
I'm sure he already Has a Spreadsheet.

Better yet I am sure he has a pivot table.

Wally

Author: scaryblondechick Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18384 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/21/2010 2:42 PM
Is that one of those things in bars with the handles and the tiny soccer players?

Lucky!

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18385 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/21/2010 7:54 PM
Wally, already guided you in the first direction I'd go. Having said that, if you're looking at net worth estimates, one of the major issues is that vast amounts of the total net worth in the US (as in many countries) is in the upper 1 (and upper 0.1) percentiles. The Census chart's highest category is 500K net worth and up, but obviously there are households with total net worth in the billions. It's a very skewed distribution.

Somewhere I have a spreadsheet (yes, everyone, I KNOW) with some net worth breakouts for higher net worth households. However, it likely uses a different dataset than the Census.

The Census report linked at wikipedia lists mean and median net worth for all US households (55K median but ~180K mean, in 2000 dollars). This Census report from 1999 http://www.census.gov/sipp/workpapr/wp233.pdf, looking at 1995 data, gives more breakouts by quintile and decile and gives a better picture of how net worth in the US is highly concentrated at the very highest percentiles.

Somewhere I have also seen reports on net worth by country that show that total net worth held by the upper 10% in the US is quite high but actually lower than some European countries (Switzerland, IIRC, was one that I didn't expect to see that was slightly higher than the US).

Anyway, I'll try to dig up some more data and find what I've pulled in the past, but the takeaway lesson is that when it comes to total net worth, it's pretty much the upper 10%/5%/1% that dominate that, and without good breakouts of those very top tiers there's very little information you can convey other than a great big mountain way off to one side representing a tiny sliver of the population, and then a large vast flat pasture representing everyone else.

-synchronicity

Author: Suska1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18386 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/21/2010 8:01 PM
Thank you

These figures represent the closest I've gotten so far. To improve them there are two things to consider, they could be more up to date and they don't itemize net worths over $500k. I can work with 6 year old numbers if that's the best I can get, and possibly using another source I can get some indications about the other issue. I wonder if something along the lines of a Forbes list would be considered reliable.

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18387 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/21/2010 8:14 PM
I've started poking around in the Fed's "Survey of Consumer Finances" : http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/oss/oss2/scfindex.html They appear to allow access to data but have yet to determine if that can easily be pulled up and broken out by percentile. IIRC, they do oversample high net worth households.

-synchronicity

Author: Suska1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18388 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/21/2010 8:38 PM
In fact I have seen charts that estimate Net worth in the way I wish to, they are old and still demonstrate this mountain you mention. I'm aware of this, I have a method for dealing with it. I do want the entire spectrum of the nation and yes with particular regard to the upper reaches that the census numbers obscure.

I eagerly await further correspondence.

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18389 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/21/2010 11:42 PM
Somewhere I have a spreadsheet (yes, everyone, I KNOW)

I love you.

Frydaze1

P.S. That might be the wine talking

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18390 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/22/2010 10:06 AM
Recommendations: 2
I love you.

Frydaze1

P.S. That might be the wine talking

Oh sure, you say that now, when it's too late for nookie. Otherwise, I would've offered to make you egg and cheese sandwiches.

-synchronicity

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18391 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/22/2010 10:23 AM
Somewhere I have a spreadsheet (yes, everyone, I KNOW)

Somewhere I have also seen reports

For a guy who is so well organized, you're not very, you know, organized.

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18392 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/22/2010 10:37 AM
For a guy who is so well organized, you're not very, you know, organized.

Eh, the data I'm thinking of was related to an article on net worth, I was responding to the author who misread a few of the charts.

I have a folder with a mishmash of tax info spreadsheets from SOI, but generally haven't pulled much net worth data (for the obvious reason, unelss you get good data on that tiny sliver at the top, it doesn't tell you much).

And no, I'm not terribly organized. My personal financial spreadsheets are a pile of assorted excel workbooks with data that ties together, along with pages that long outlived their usefulness and some appeneded onto other things. It's more like a rambling old mansion with some rooms unused and others filled with junk than a smaller place that looks like a demo for Ikea and Container Store.

-synchronicity

Author: hamsmyname Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18393 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/22/2010 11:46 AM
a rambling old mansion with some rooms unused and others filled with junk

holy smokes, Batman! So that's been you shuffling around upstairs all this time! I thought I had a bad infestation of squirrels.

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18394 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/22/2010 12:53 PM
holy smokes, Batman! So that's been you shuffling around upstairs all this time! I thought I had a bad infestation of squirrels.

People do say I'm nuts about my spreadsheets.

-synchronicity

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18398 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/22/2010 4:15 PM
I love you.

Frydaze1 <--- sober... and hungry ;-)

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18399 of 22938
Subject: Re: American Statistics Date: 7/22/2010 4:17 PM
Wait... I didn't just offer to prostitute myself for an egg and cheese sandwich, did I?

Frydaze1

P.S. How good is the sandwich?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement