UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: devlishz Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308519  
Subject: Ameridebt - what now? Date: 12/28/2001 3:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hi,
I haven't been on the board in quite a while - work and school have been keeping me busy.
Well, first the good news - lots of little happy dances as I have managed to pay off and close all the smaller CC accounts and am close to closing a couple of the medium accounts.

Here's the problem - In May of 1990 I made the mistake of signing up with Ameridebt for their "interest reduction" program. I was assured that it was NOT credit counseling - a question I asked several times because I wasn't having problems making payments, and my credit wasn't bad - I just had too much of it and the balances weren't seeming to go down any even though I was making extra payments on most. My "counselor" assured me that all the program was designed to do was lower my interest rates so I could pay off the balances - I bit and signed up... HUGE mistake. Before I signed up I had no late payments within 3 1/2 years on my credit report - that changed and within 4 months I had 6 accounts 30 days past due 4 times, 2 accounts past due 60 days 3 times and 2 accounts 90 days past due 2 times - and I had made every payment to ameridebt for the full amount on time. Each time I called my "counselor" I was told not to worry that the accounts would be "reaged" and brought up to date. The creditors I talked to laughed over that one. I found out that in the 2 accounts that ended up being 90 days over due for a couple months, it was because Ameridebt didn't respond to the creditors request for more money so they weren't receiving enough and a balance due was being carried over. I worked with 2 of the creditors and made huge payments to bring the accounts up to date and had them removed from the program. However the stigma remains on my credit report.

I called Ameridebt several times about the problems only to be brushed off every time. Several of the calls were never documented in their system. In November of 1990 I told them that I wanted to quit their program. I was told that I had to finish the 6 month minimum so I told them that I would be qutting after December's payment. I started paying all the creditors on my own in December.

I called ameridebt myself because my credit report still shows that I am in CCC and was told that I never requested to be taken off of their program. I told the customer service person that I had requested that over a year ago - he said it wasn't documented. I told him that several phone calls I made weren't documented however I had phone bills showing that I had called. He accused me of calling and sitting on hold for several minutes, then hanging up without ever talking to anybody so the phone records proved nothing - nice customer service.

I filed a complaint against Ameridebt with the Better Business Bureau in Dec of 1990. They sent the complaint to Ameridebt in Feb and received no response, they sent a total of 3 letters and never received any response. I contacted the BBB several times and finally,in Nov of this year they received a response from Ameridebt legal counsel saying they would look into the matter to find out if I filed the proper forms. In every phone call I made to ameridebt - no mention of forms was ever made. Also in his letter he states that he has been trying to get ahold of me. I've had the same work phone number for over 3 years, the same home number and address for over 5 years and have never heard from them.
The better business bureau says there is nothing they can do. There is a huge black mark on my credit report saying I'm still in CCC for the last year when I requested to be out of their program over a year ago - and it wasn't supposed to be CCC in the first place. The creditors I've talked to say they won't remove the statement until they get a formal letter from Ameridebt saying that I am no longer in the program.

Any body have any suggestions? Is there anybody I can take this complaint to that can do something?

Sorry it's so long but I'm so frustrated. I thought I was finally getting my credit issues handled only to find out that they're still screwing me.

Thanks,
Lanna
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement