UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bofallon Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: Ameritrade v. SureTrade v. Datek Date: 2/18/1998 4:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm setting up an online IRA, and am trying to find the lowest commission and annual IRA fee combination. More important is that the broker actually fill orders.

Has anyone had a good experience with Ameritrade or Suretrade? They are cheaper that Datek, (primarily because they don't have Datek's $25 annual IRA fee,) but I'm concerned about their reputation and execution.

Who do you all use??

Brian
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1849 of 75381
Subject: Re: Ameritrade v. SureTrade v. Datek Date: 2/18/1998 7:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greetings, Brian, and welcome.

<<Has anyone had a good experience with Ameritrade or Suretrade? They are cheaper that Datek, (primarily because they don't have Datek's $25 annual IRA fee,) but I'm concerned about their reputation and execution.>>

I have Ameritrade for my IRA and have no complaints. Statements are clean and trades execute smoothly.

Regards....Pixy

Author: jackl Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854 of 75381
Subject: Re: Ameritrade v. SureTrade v. Datek Date: 2/19/1998 8:09 AM
I've been using Suretrade, it couldn't be easier. Fast, accurate, inexpensive, and free investment tools such as Zacks and Big Charts. I don't have an IRA with them so I don't know the fee.

Just another...
JackL

Author: vargaj Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1859 of 75381
Subject: Re: Ameritrade v. SureTrade v. Datek Date: 2/19/1998 2:12 PM
Although i don't doubt that some (many?) people are OK with suretrade, I think they have some problems they haven't worked out. I spent 2 months unsuccessfully trying to move an IRA from the Scudder funds to suretrade. I gave up and got it set up with Ameritrade in less than 3 weeks. there is a fair amount of bad news on the discount brokers board on Suretrade. I have accounts at Etrade, Ameritrade, and Trading direct. I vote for Ameritrade 1st , Etrade 2nd, trading direct 5th. A lot depends on what you want. I am influenced a lot by how much I like the web page, since I end up spending some time there.

FWIW

Joe Varga

Author: rozak Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1878 of 75381
Subject: Re: Ameritrade v. SureTrade v. Datek Date: 2/20/1998 5:29 PM
I have been trying for one month to get an account
open at Ameritrade. At least part of the problem is of
my own making. Their application asks for both a
physical address, and a mailing address. I gave them both and guess what Murphy did with that. Give them
only your mailing address, so Murphy cannot play.

They respond promptly to email, but I could not say
they they take the action that the email says they
will take.

You need to get off to a clean start with them, I
think. I have still not traded there, so I cannot
comment on that.

Author: pearlla Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1884 of 75381
Subject: Re: Ameritrade v. SureTrade v. Datek Date: 2/20/1998 9:46 PM
I would just like to put my $.02 to mention Waterhouse. First, they have local offices all over the country. 2, they have an 800 number for extended hours. 3, they are polite and responsive. 4, and my favorite, they reinvest dividends for free.
Larry

Author: Shaniqua Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2021 of 75381
Subject: Re: Ameritrade v. SureTrade v. Datek Date: 3/2/1998 12:36 AM
I agree with your points 1-4. But would add that 5) A human has to review your IRA trades before they're executed. (And it took 20 minutes.)

Sure, it's free, but I would pay $25 a year to do without the hassle of calling after every trade to ask for the price to be "corrected" to what it would have been if the software were capable of executing the trade immediately.

Take it with a grain of salt; I readily admit to being a disgrunted customer. I wish _I_ had asked about online discount brokers with respect to IRA accounts.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement