No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello all.

After a few years of having no credit card debt, I regret to admit I have some again.

For the last few years I have been using the Amex Blue Cash (which gives back 5% on gas and groceries and 1.5% on everything else) for almost everything, which amounts to about 4K per month. I even pay some bills with it. At the end of the year, it adds up nicely for a decent sized reward.

Recently we had a problem getting water in our basement, which was a health concern, so we opted for a basement system that ran us 5K. I paid it with the Amex, and at the end of the month couldn't stand to part with 9K all at once, so I only paid 7K and left 2K on the balance, realizing I was going to pay a finance charge on that outstanding 2K (which was going to amount to roughly $30, give or take).

Strange thing happened. The next month, when the bill came, Amex said there was no finance charge. I scoured the bill, nothing. I looked at the section which shows your rate (13.25%) and next to that it shows an average daily balance of $0 and as a result, no finance charge ...

So the next month, I do the same thing. I pay all but 2K of the bill ... and once again, no finance charge, 2 months in a row now.

I always though that it worked like this: Once you have a balance, when the bill comes you either pay it off by the due date, or get charged a finance charge on what is outstanding. That doesn't seem to apply with Amex?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Helj
Print the post Back To Top
Is it possible you have a 0% promotional rate you didn't know about?

Fuskie
Who thinks you have it right how it usually works...
No. of Recommendations: 3
Two-cycle billing? Will show up next month with average of this month + next month's balances. In effect you will pay a finance charge on everything you purchase next month since there is a balance carried over.

SeeFoolRun {Thinks that's correct for 2-cycle billing}
Two-cycle billing? Will show up next month with average of this month + next month's balances. In effect you will pay a finance charge on everything you purchase next month since there is a balance carried over.

If it were two cycle billing, there still would have been a finance charge the 2nd month. It is more likely, as Fuskie suggests, that there is a 0% promo rate on purchases that the OP is unaware of. I have an AMEX Blue and I seem to recall that around Christmas they were offering 0% on purchases for the next 12 months.....trying to get you to spend more for Christmas, I guess.

AJ
There is no 0% promotional code that I am aware of (and I certainly do not want to call and check to remind them that they should have been charging me interest :P)

What was odd was that on both statements, the average daily balance for the period said $0 ... when for two consecutive months I left around 2K unpaid on the card.

I guess I will wait and see what happens next month.
I have AMEX Blue Cash! And I know that there is 0% APR for the first 6 months. Cool, huh? :D
Advertisement