UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 0xf001 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76395  
Subject: AMEX Financial Advisor Experience and Question Date: 3/29/2004 11:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
First a little background, my wife and I are both 26, no “bad debt”, very decent salaries, have a house (paying a mortgage), no kids (but plans), and trying to figure out how to retire at 45 

Retirement planning seemed to be somewhat overwhelming at first and we hadn't done much to get it going (besides maxing out my employer matched 401k contributions). So when given an offer to go see a financial advisor we took it; hoping that he could steer us in the right direction.

So we gave him all our financial information and he got back to us, with a nicely bound professional looking “financial plan” that showed which AMEX funds are right for me. He then started telling us that our “Age and financial status gives us a unique opportunity to invest in a very special tax-advantaged vehicle, a Variable Universal Life Insurance plan.” We were so entranced by the sales pitch I almost handed over a check and signed the paperwork. But after a few questions and a “what? you don't trust me?” statement we decided to sleep on it.

I have since done some digging around and it seems our “unique opportunity” isn't so unique, since this seems to be the standard AMEX sales pitch, and it seems opinions are generally negative of it.

So this brings me to my question. My wife's employer does not offer a retirement plan. We are planning on maxing out contributions to an IRA for her and one for me. As well as contributing the maximum employer matched amount on my 401k.

If after doing this we still have money left over, is there any other tax-advantaged account my wife can contribute to since her employer doesn't offer one? Or is this VUL plan really the best choice for that money? Or just put the money on a brokerage account, take the tax hit, and use one of these foolish investment strategies?

I've tried to search the forums and google for answers to these questions, but I always seem to go off on a tangent and haven't had much luck. So I figure I might as well post here… If I need to do some more research on my own, I'll gladly accept a “shut up newbie” 

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement