UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75796  
Subject: AMEX Travelers Cheques as good as cash? Date: 4/13/2008 9:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
...apparently not even at the bank you buy them from. <LOL>

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-watchdog0411.artapr11,0,1287834.column

American Express Travelers and Gift Cheques are accepted like cash by tens of thousands of merchants.

But as John Walker of Southington learned this year, the bank that sold you the checks may not give you cash for them.

Walker went to his Webster Bank branch in Southington to purchase about $700 in travelers checks for vacation, as he has done for years. But this time, he returned home with $300 in unused checks.

He returned to his bank, where he has several accounts and a credit line, and tried to cash them.

No way, Walker was told. Too many of the checks are counterfeit, he was told.

<snip>

To check how much of an issue this is nationally, I called Rob Sherman, the American Express spokesman for the division that handles travelers and gift checks.

Sherman assured me that this is not a big issue. He said he had never before heard of a bank refusing to accept a check it had sold to a customer.

He proudly told me that these checks are sold at about 80,000 locations and are accepted by tons of merchants.

But then I started asking pointed questions about the resistance of some banks in accepting them.

I asked him how many banks will accept the checks as cash without regard to where customers banked or bought them.

"It's up to the bank," he said, to make its own rules, including whether to charge for selling and accepting them. The checks are treated pretty much the same as personal checks, he said.

I told him about how my travelers checks were given to me in an envelope from American Express that said its Gift Cheques — which are basically the same as its Travelers Cheques — "are accepted virtually anywhere."

Then I threw him what turned out to be a curveball.

I asked him Wednesday to identify one bank in the United States where all branches would accept an American Express travelers or gift check from a non-customer who had purchased it from another institution.

Sherman assured me Thursday that many do, but said it was up to me to find them.

</snip>

From Ameriprise Financial Advisors to Amex Travelers cheques, American Express is definitely a financial institution you want to avoid.

intercst
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement