UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: adellaventura One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: Amex vs Brown for Roth Date: 8/28/2000 1:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am about to merge three Roth's into one account. Can't decide between Amex or Brown and Co. the value of the account will be close to 80K. Would like to hear pros and cons of both companies from customers of each! Also if their is a better board to post this on would like to know!

Thanks

Tony
Print the post Back To Top
Author: djharker One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24401 of 75383
Subject: Re: Amex vs Brown for Roth Date: 8/28/2000 11:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
>Amex vs. Brown...

I'm very happy with my accounts at Brown.
Rates are CHEAP, with absolutely no problems in
hundreds of trades over the last few years.

Our 2nd account at Brown is my wife's IRA,
transferred in from another broker. Brown
handled their end of the transfer very well,
in spite of major screwups by the OTHER broker,
(First Union Securities, which SUCK, IMHO)
who was apparently not happy we were transfering
that account to Brown!

Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24409 of 75383
Subject: Re: Amex vs Brown for Roth Date: 8/28/2000 1:30 PM
I have both my rollover and contributory IRAs at
Brown. Never a screwup in over 11 years.
I inherited some IDS (now AMEX) fund shares and was definitely NOT happy with a series of "financial advisors" and poor fund performance. Admittedly AMEX as a discount broker is relatively new and I have no experience with them, but if you read this board you will find quite a few screwups. They are just learning how to handle a web site and to manage zillions of accounts generated by offering commission-free trading to larger accounts. I'm sure the account holders get bombarded with literature suggesting an AMEX financial plan and buying their funds, but you likely have a large round file for such.
You may read complaints that Brown brokers are rude on the phone, and their tolerance for newbie questions is indeed low. But I haven't talked to a broker in some years, and when I did I asked sensible questions and got quick, accurate answers.
Good luck with whatever you decide! Chris

Author: JDWinNOLA One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24424 of 75383
Subject: Re: Amex vs Brown for Roth Date: 8/28/2000 7:16 PM
I've used Brown for nearly 4 years for an IRA and a regular account. Never had any problems. I had a friend recommend them and he said they don't like questions. Once their web site was up and running I've never felt any need to call. They generally execute trades instantly. At least by the time I type in the order and go to the transaction screen the trade is there.

No experience with AMEX.

Jim

Author: adellaventura One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24430 of 75383
Subject: Re: Amex vs Brown for Roth Date: 8/28/2000 11:15 PM
Thanks to all! Very helpful.

Tony

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement