UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (71) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308782  
Subject: Re: Credit card debt Date: 9/6/2012 12:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Among the thousands of post establishing that perspective of LAYM, don't we usually exclude necessary medical expenses from it?Why is the assumption here that I meant to include it in such a light?

I think I understood what you first posted - and agreed. The issue has just gotten confused with the emotion of "do you mean essential medical treatment should be declined?!!!" I'm pretty sure that is not at all what you meant.

(1)Put it this way, for those of us who are fortunate enough to have (decent) health insurance, we can generally predict how much we need to save to pay in a given year: premiums, co-pays, co-insurance, prescriptions.

(2)You can add on the extra things you may know about: special surgery, new baby, etc. Above that, you could predict what your out-of-pocket max may be in a year and include it in your emergency fund. So far, we are handling normal emergencies/unexpected events and still LBYM.

(3)The next level is an unexpected emergency with harder to predict costs: burst appendix w/complications, car accident, cancer. You may have covered out of pocket max in your emergency fund but this may be way more including loss of income. Are you ready for that?

I would say that if someone is not prepared for the 2nd level then they are LAYM but the 3rd level (catastrophic emergencies) are not a part of the predictable plan.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (71) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement