UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Taz06 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75637  
Subject: Amount you can contribute to 401k? Date: 9/25/2001 3:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does anybody know how the limit works on the percentage you can contribute into your 401k? My company allows me to put up to 7% of my pay into the plan and they match 100% of whatever I put in. But, I have heard from different sources that the law says, if you are in a corporation, you can put up to 15% in the plan even if the company only matches up to a certain percent, such as 7% as with my company.

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31985 of 75637
Subject: Re: Amount you can contribute to 401k? Date: 9/25/2001 3:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Tax06, and welcome. You asked:

Does anybody know how the limit works on the percentage you can contribute into your 401k? My company allows me to put up to 7% of my pay into the plan and they match 100% of whatever I put in. But, I have heard from different sources that the law says, if you are in a corporation, you can put up to 15% in the plan even if the company only matches up to a certain percent, such as 7% as with my company.

In reality, the law allows a percentage limit of up to 25% of annual compensation between you and your employer combined. The plan documents, though, may limit your contribution percentage to a lesser amount, and many employers ensure the documents do just that. Your plan evidently is one that does.

For a brief explanation of defined contribution plans (to include those with the 401(k) option), see my Foolish Retirement Plan Primer at http://www.fool.com/Retirement/RetirementPlanPrimer.htm.

Regards..Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement