Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BigBooty Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: AMT and LTCG Date: 3/6/2000 7:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey TMFTaxes and everybody else out there!

I lucked out and joined web startup about 18 months ago. I had ISO stock options, which I excercised in May. The company has since gone public and done really really well.

So, it's now early march. 2 more months and I've got long-term capitol gains. But that 1 stock is like 99% of my portfolio, so I've obviously got a lot of market risk.

My question is in regards to AMT. I live in California, and I know that State Income taxes will eat away at any AMT credit I get every year. Earning enough income to collect a signifigant ammount of the AMT would be really hard.

So, any money that I pay in AMT is probably down the drain. If we assume that is true, it seems to me there is no tax disadvantage to me selling a big chunk of stock now. For example:

75,000 salary
200,000 short term capitol gains
400,000 long term capitol gains
-----
675,000: I'd pay 28% to uncle sam

or
75,000 salary
600,000 long term capitol gains
---
675,000: I'd still pay 28% to uncle sam. Only difference is a highter % of it would be "short-term-capitol-gains" tax instead of "AMT" tax.

The only way that I can figure it makes sense not to sell some now is if long term capitol gains don't count towards AMT.

So, having provided the context, that's my big burning question. Does long-term-capitol gains count towards AMT?

If any one has any thoughts or advice, I humbly await your feedback.

Regards,
bigbooty

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement