Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: cavallino Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121351  
Subject: AMT tax...file extension? 945? Date: 2/23/2001 4:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
So I am in a situation where I excercised some ISO stock options in 2000 with at a price per share that is
about 6 times the current price of the stock. I didn't sell any during 2000 so I have a huge AMT
tax that I must pay by April 15th.

However I would really hate to sell basically all of my shares exercised last year plus a few more
just to pay the taxes on them. I believe in the stock and believe it is undervalued and expect to
see it maybe double in the next six months (no expectation it will be back at t 6x or 12x peak
anytime soon).

So I have sold enough to pay about 1/4 of my AMT taxes (and I've already paid quite a bit in
estimated last year) but I'd rather not pay the rest. What are my options here?

* File for an extension and only pay some amount now and take the 8% interest penalty that
accrues until I pay in August
* File a 9465 Installment Agreement Request and try to pay on a monthly basis for a while. I'd
pay this off when the stock returned to a reasonable level. Does this have any other negatives or
credit issues?

Are there any other creative solutions? I can't borrow enough to pay for the taxes (the AMT
taxes I owe is well over 5x my pre-tax salary)...and don't know if I would want that level of risk.
I might consider borrowing for a small amount of it...and I'm still working these issues out.

The other issue is that I am restricted to when I can actually sell stock and my trading window
closes at the end of the month. So I need to decide now whether I keep selling or do something
else.

Thanks!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Deranged Monkey Criticism

Amazon: What Bezos Believes
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement