UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jaagu Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 461219  
Subject: Amtrak doing great Date: 10/13/2012 12:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
"People are riding Amtrak trains in record numbers across the country because there is an undeniable demand to travel by rail," said President and CEO Joe Boardman. "Ridership will continue to grow because of key investments made by Amtrak and our federal and state partners to improve on-time performance, reliability, capacity and train speeds."

Factors contributing to Amtrak long-term ridership growth include improved passenger services such as Wi-Fi and eTicketing, high gasoline prices, continued growth in business travel on the Northeast Corridor, the increased appeal and popularity of rail travel, dissatisfaction with congested highways and air travel, and effective marketing campaigns.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/10/10/4898562/amtrak-sets-new-rid...

Amtrak set another ridership record for the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, carrying 31.2 million passengers.

Ridership was up 3.5 percent from the previous year, while ticket revenue grew by 6.8 percent to a record $2.02 billion. The ridership record was the ninth in the last 10 years.

Amtrak's "farebox recovery," the portion of operating costs directly covered by ticket revenue, was 79 percent in fiscal 2011, compared with 76 percent in fiscal 2010. Figures were not available for 2012.

Ridership on the Northeast Corridor, the most heavily traveled segment of Amtrak's rail network, rose 4.8 percent to a record 11.4 million riders in fiscal 2012.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-10-11/news/34364361_1_riders...

IMO travel by trains will continue to grow.

jaagu
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 405934 of 461219
Subject: Re: Amtrak doing great Date: 10/13/2012 1:20 AM
Recommendations: 0
IMO travel by trains will continue to grow.

Uphill fight. Amtrak still requires a subsidy, and passenger trains still get in the way of freights. Piles of "protected free speech" being spread around DC to kill Amtrak.

Steve

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 405937 of 461219
Subject: Re: Amtrak doing great Date: 10/13/2012 7:50 AM
Recommendations: 34
"People are riding Amtrak trains in record numbers across the country because there is an undeniable demand to travel by rail,"

I wonder what percentage of their growth is from people just wanting to get away from the hyper-paranoia "security" measures enforced on air travel by DHS?

--FY

Author: jaagu Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 405945 of 461219
Subject: Re: Amtrak doing great Date: 10/13/2012 12:10 PM
Recommendations: 7
Amtrak still requires a subsidy...

============================================

But not nearly as much as air travel or highway travel.

jaagu

Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 405948 of 461219
Subject: Re: Amtrak doing great Date: 10/13/2012 2:01 PM
Recommendations: 3
But not nearly as much as air travel or highway travel.

The cost for Amtrak's equipment is also much higher than in other countries because we don't have dedicated passenger track (which means cars must be built to safety standards for collisions with freight trains).

I've used it in the northeast a bunch of times...it's fast, comfortable and convenient, and reasonably priced too.

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 405950 of 461219
Subject: Re: Amtrak doing great Date: 10/13/2012 2:46 PM
Recommendations: 3
I am sooooo fed up with the customer service, packing like sardines, etc. on the airlines that I refuse to travel by same unless I have to. Amtrak is my choice. If Amtrak does not have the route I want, on to Greyhound.

Due to the layovers and delays, actually, I can make it from Columbia, SC to Lakeland, FL within about 2 hours of the plane arriving in Tampa. I gladly suffer the 2 hour extension not to have to put up with the airlines. In addition, Lakeland is only 12 miles from my final destination, and I don't have to put up with the I-75/I-275 traffic. Plus, the rental car is cheaper.

Donna (to me a win-win situation)

Author: Beridian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 405951 of 461219
Subject: Re: Amtrak doing great Date: 10/13/2012 2:48 PM
Recommendations: 4
I wonder what percentage of their growth is from people just wanting to get away from the hyper-paranoia "security" measures enforced on air travel by DHS?

I certainly avoid air travel, using that method only when there is no other reasonable alternative. They certainly have made it a less than pleasant experience.

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 405956 of 461219
Subject: Re: Amtrak doing great Date: 10/13/2012 4:36 PM
Recommendations: 1

Yep. On a trip with my family two months ago, my wheelchair-bound, 12 year old son was selected for in-depth security screening. Brilliant.

--Peter

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 405965 of 461219
Subject: Re: Amtrak doing great Date: 10/13/2012 9:19 PM
Recommendations: 53
Yep. On a trip with my family two months ago, my wheelchair-bound, 12 year old son was selected for in-depth security screening. Brilliant.

In this most recent case, a gentleman came through the checkpoint at Milwaukee’s MKE airport in his wheelchair and whoops -what’s that??? Underneath the cushion of his wheelchair was not one, but two firearms. Our officers found the following:

- One 9mm loaded with 15 rounds and one chambered

- One 32 caliber loaded with seven rounds and one chambered

http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/10/why-we-screen-wheelchairs-part-i...

When you think that certain things should be off limits, that's exactly when they should be:

Gun parts discovered by TSA officers inside stuffed animals in a child’s carry-on luggage at Rhode Island’s T.F. Green Airport on Monday were a result of “a domestic dispute,” Rhode Island Airport Police told WBZ-TV.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/tag/gun/

Oh, but they searched my baby stroller!

A New Hampshire couple is facing several charges after police say they found a loaded gun hidden near a child in a baby carriage.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/07/24/couple-arrested-after-...

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 405969 of 461219
Subject: Re: Amtrak doing great Date: 10/13/2012 10:01 PM
Recommendations: 1
When you think that certain things should be off limits, that's exactly when they should be:

Er... I think you meant:
When you think that certain things should be off limits, that's exactly when they shouldn't be:

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement