UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rjm1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: Re: To invest in VUL or not? Date: 9/24/2000 8:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
An acquaintance with Northwestern Mutual Life has been pushing my husband to invest in a VUL - variable universal
life policy. We're both 40 - and he works for a Fortune 500 company with a good matching plan, pension, etc.. He
already has a $1 million life ins. policy (term) - $93.00/month.

Is it worth it, (he suggests investing $2,000/monthly) - for tax benefits alone?? Do you think this amount of money
would be better spent paying off our home or investing elsewhere? Please advise. What are the pros/cons of this
investment vehicle?? Thank you!!

What are the tax benefits in terms of dollars? If you do not know he probably did not do a good job of explaining.

When I looked at insurance for myself I figured if I was not going to die I was better off investing in something other than insurance. The fees in the insurance plan offset the tax savings.

If you are in a high income bracket the plan maybe ok but you need to provide a lot more info. From what you gave us I would say no since you do not seem to need insurance and a VUL is more insurance than an investment.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement