No. of Recommendations: 1
An annuity can be transferred to an annuity with a different company. Depending on how long she's had the Metlife annuity,i there may or may not be redemption fee. Vanguard or Fidelity would be good choices. Or she could switch the Metlife annuity to investing in a different fund. If she transfers the annuity to Vanguard or Fidelity, there should be no commissions nor capital gains taxes as long as the transfer is done directly. She can talk to Vanguard or Fidelity, send them a copy of her most recent statement from Metlife, fill out some paperwork which they will supply. She does not need to discuss what she is doing with the "financial advisor" at all. It is just like switching brokers or rolling over a 401k.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.