UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Blueyale One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308858  
Subject: An Apology... Date: 12/10/1999 9:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm sorry if I offended someone on this board with something I posted yesterday. I posted a message about a way of reducing cc debt through drastically cutting grocery expenses but yet getting brand name products for generic prices.

Apparantly, someone thought I was shilling for the site and took offense because I included a link but I DO NOT have ANY affiliation with them nor do I receive a nickel for recommending or referring them. I just thought that it was a neat site cuz it actually saved me enough money without have to do anything drastic to my life style. Anyways to make a long story short someone tattled to the Fool and all my posts were pulled that day (which the majority of them didn't even have to do with anything about that site!)

I still think the best way to go to get put debt fast is to cut down your expenses and applying that to your payments but it doesn't have to be painful or as drastic as some people. Take it from someone who made some dumb mistakes with his card and payed for it but is now free from that crushing feeling that out of control cc debt brings.

This post is running a tad long so I apologize again to anyone I offended and I too would not like to see the message boards degenerate into people shillng sites for their own agenda. For now on, I'll just keep my money saving tips to myself.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21651 of 308858
Subject: Re: An Apology... Date: 12/10/1999 10:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I still think the best way to go to get put debt fast is to cut down your expenses and applying that to your payments but it doesn't have to be painful or as drastic as some people. Take it from someone who made some dumb mistakes with his card and payed for it but is now free from that crushing feeling that out of control cc debt brings

Blueyale,

I didn't see your posts, but I am sorry they got pulled. You made a great suggestion about store brands saving money. I know because it was how we survied many years ago. The only name brand we used was Uncle Ben's rice because I couldn't find a store brand to match it. Even today I still buy mostly store brands whenever I can.

For now on, I'll just keep my money saving tips to myself.

Maybe you should try your suggetion again on the Living Below Your Means (LBYM) board. People are always providing links to money saving sites over there. But most of all please share your tips.

Utahtea

Author: dlester Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21652 of 308858
Subject: Re: An Apology... Date: 12/10/1999 10:30 PM
Blueyale,

I didn't see your post, but after reading your message, you've got me intrigued. Especially after knowing that you feel so strongly about this.

Yes, let's keep this board from recessing into the land of spam and shameless plugs.

But at the same time, don't shame away someone with what sounds like a great idea!

Please share!

r,
dean

Author: Blueyale One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21653 of 308858
Subject: Re: An Apology... Date: 12/11/1999 2:46 AM
Hey Utahtea,

My post was about how you could get brand name products for the same price or less than the store and generic prices using coupons. There's a site that sells this grocery coupon certificate book that lets you receive coupons for over 1200 name brand products so you save automatically.

I can't tell you the thrill of buying groceries for pennies on the dollar or walking out just having to pay the sales tax on your bags of groceries buying what you want to buy. You would be amazed at how much money you're throwing out on your grocery expenses.

Cheers,
John

Author: Blueyale One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21654 of 308858
Subject: Re: An Apology... Date: 12/11/1999 2:48 AM
I don't want to get marked by the Fool Censorship department again so drop me an email and I'll tell you what the site.

Author: zhunzi One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21658 of 308858
Subject: Re: An Apology... Date: 12/11/1999 9:38 AM

I can't tell you the thrill of buying groceries for pennies on the dollar or walking out just having to pay the sales tax on your bags of groceries buying what you want to buy. You would be amazed at how much money you're throwing out on your grocery expenses.

About $200/mo here.

Author: AntiTrader Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21664 of 308858
Subject: Re: An Apology... Date: 12/11/1999 12:53 PM
Recommendations: 1
BlueYale;

I did read you post and have already taken advantage of one of the sites (http://www.valupage.com/?From=valuepage), too bad I can't remeber what it was. :-)

The other was a also a good suggestion and after I come to understand how it works a little better I may start using that www.couponenterprises.com, if I could only remember the name.

I for one appreciate any money saving tips to help me reduce the money I spend so that I can pay back a debt monster that has been following me for 10 years. So, thanks. I some people get to see this before it is pulled :-).

Brian

Author: Blueyale One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21665 of 308858
Subject: Re: An Apology... Date: 12/11/1999 4:23 PM
Dear Brian,

That was the link that I posted the other day and I hope that people take a look at it because it will save you a considerable amount of dough that IMHO could be better used for other things (investing! or paying down CC debt first)

I also use Valupage in conjunction with the grocery coupon certificate books to consistently generate from 90-95% in savings. On some occassions, I have walked out only paying the sales tax for over hundreds of dollars worth of groceries. Most of stuff I don't use is donated to my local church to give to the poor and homeless. The key is to generate so much savings that you can receive perishables (milk, eggs, meat, veggies and fruits) for FREE.

I can't explain how exciting it is when you walk out the supermarket only having to pay pennies on the dollar for buying stuff that you want to buy. I am glad i found this site early in my life cuz I hate to think how much money I would have justed wasted over the years paying for groceries.

Cheers,
John

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21669 of 308858
Subject: Re: An Apology... Date: 12/11/1999 5:44 PM
I also use Valupage in conjunction with the grocery coupon certificate books to consistently generate from 90-95% in savings.

Hi John!

I too receive my Valuepage email every week.

I think it's a great way to save!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21715 of 308858
Subject: Re: An Apology... Date: 12/13/1999 1:01 PM
Blueyale:

"I don't want to get marked by the Fool Censorship department again so drop me an email and I'll tell you what the site."

To Blueyale: Obviously, I do not know exactly what Fool Censorship said, but I can sympathize.

If I may, however, I suspect that you got "reported" because the same message (and I did see it) appeared on quite a few boards. Although I did not report you, I thought about it because that methodology is the frequent behaviour of spammers. We (and TMF) can really only judge a poster by the actual posts that are made.

If you really were not spamming, my suggestion, FWIW
(and I have no connection to TMF other than as a poster), is to confine the details to the LBYM board and maybe post cross references (or a link) to that post on this board (CC) and the budget board and maybe the managing you debt collector board, but no other board. The multiple boards on TMF allow each board to stay relatively focused, and I suspect the readers of the other boards who would be most interested in the suggestions would be reading one of the boards I noted.

Just my $0.02. Regards, JAFO

Author: Catleen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21717 of 308858
Subject: Re: An Apology... Date: 12/13/1999 1:08 PM
I have to chime in as well. I also access valupage every week. Couldn't shop without it.

Catleen

Author: Blueyale One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21743 of 308858
Subject: Re: An Apology... Date: 12/13/1999 4:26 PM
Sorry about the muliple postings....just trying to get my first star (stroking my ego I know)

Author: RachaelWoodard Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21778 of 308858
Subject: Re: An Apology... Date: 12/13/1999 10:24 PM
I noticed that the original author of "An Apology" message stated that he enjoyed using The Valupage, which is an invaluable tool to avoid credit card debt...I have four kids and we rarely spend more than $25/week for groceries..utilizing "web bucks." Also, we use specific coupons that are found in the Sunday Supplements as well as from coupon services (www.thecouponclippers.com) and (www.dinas-coupons.com/) provide you with specific store coupons so that you can take advantage of your store's "Best deals."

We've discovered that often times if your stores double to $.50 then your local Sunday Supplement will offer $.55/2, so you cannot double them..If you get them from another part of the country, you can get better savings. One of my friends and her co-horts, bought $1 MILLION worth of groceries in 1998 for $50,000...only 5% of face value. And that was in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!

I about "die" whenever I see someone buying groceries with a credit card, figuring they'll eat it all up even before the bill is in..and wonder why their bill is so high!
Rachael

Author: RecoveringFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21779 of 308858
Subject: Re: An Apology... Date: 12/13/1999 10:28 PM
I about "die" whenever I see someone buying groceries with a credit card, figuring they'll eat it all up even before the bill is in..and wonder why their bill is so high!

This is a poor assumption - Discover gives me quite a nice chunk of change each year from charging my groceries. Please keep in mind that many people with credit cards pay off their bills every month.

Jacki

Author: johnmoni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21782 of 308858
Subject: Re: An Apology... Date: 12/13/1999 11:44 PM
"This is a poor assumption - Discover gives me quite a nice chunk of change each year from charging my groceries. Please keep in mind that many people with credit cards pay off their bills every month."

Us too, Jacki. We charge our groceries for the same reasons you do - the points we build up on the card. Neither one of us have ever paid one penny of CC interest in our lives - we get monthly interest-free loans from the CC company. Cheapest loaned money you'll ever get (plus the points/cash back!)
johnmoni

Author: soui Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21805 of 308858
Subject: Re: An Apology... Date: 12/14/1999 10:18 AM

Then again, there are people who pay off their credit cards every month. And who keep track of what they charge as they go.

Cheers,
soui
Charging groceries since 1993

Author: pastrad Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21828 of 308858
Subject: Re: An Apology... Date: 12/14/1999 2:03 PM
I also charge my groceries but for a different reason. My Visa-Check card looks and acts like a CC. Just because you hear the customer tell the cashier "credit" doesn't mean it's an interest-charging card. It just so happens that my bank does not charge me to use it either way, debit or credit.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement