Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: angelbuggy Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 124156  
Subject: Re: Gift tax question Date: 4/18/2000 11:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
An individual can give $10,000 per year to as many individuals as he/she wants without incurring any tax consequences for either donor or recipient. No party would need to report the transaction on any tax forms. Therefore, he should give you and your husband each $10,000 separately and $5,000 to your son.

If he gives more than $10,000 to any one of you, he needs to file a Form 709 (Gift Tax and Generation-Skipping Tax Form). He won't owe any gift tax at this time, but the amount of the gift over $10,000 will use up part of his lifetime unified estate tax credit. Depending upon his net worth at the time of his death, this may or may not make any difference as to whether his estate owes estate tax.

Angelbuggy, E.A.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Oil and Gas
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.