UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Tess29 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: An Inheritance, Pt. 2 Date: 4/1/2006 9:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hello. I posted a message a few weeks ago entitled "An Inheritance." Since then, I have done a lot of reading on this board, in magazines, and in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing.

After establishing a 6 month emergency fund and finishing the basement in my townhouse and adding a deck, I will have approximately $200K in liquid assests to invest.

My investments will be in mostly taxable accounts as the offerings in my 403B employer plan are quite poor. I have scheduled a meeting with my Met Life rep to see if new life can be breathed into my stagnant portfolio and perhaps I will start making monthly contributions once again. I plan to retire from teaching in approximately fourteen years and have a moderate risk tolerance. I would like to try this investment formula:

Start with an investment of $100K spread over several Vanguard funds with the following allocations: Total Stock Market Index Fund 60% ; Total Bond Market 20% ; Total International 10% ; REIT 10%.

I will also start a Roth IRA before April 15th with $4000 and then add another $4000 later in the spring for the '06 tax year. I have read that any actively managed accounts should go into one's Roth IRA. Should any of the above mentioned Vanguard funds go into my Roth IRA? I was thinking about one of the Vanguard Life Strategy or Target retirement funds for my IRA.

For the present, I thought I would put the rest of the liquid assests ($100K) on a 5.1% 12 month CD through my bank.

I feel a bit more confident than I did a few weeks ago but the responsibility of wisely investing this money is still scary to me. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. Tess

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement