Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I inherited some shares of the Franklin Oregon tax-free income fund that were in my mother's account for more than a year. They were moved to my account the end of December, 1999. I suppose I should be changing them over to shares of Franklin California tax-free. Or I could move them into another fund in the same family and not have to pay a fee since they are "A" shares. My question is if I do either one of these moves and then sell them in less than a year do they still qualify for long term capital gains, or would I be stuck paying for short term capital gains? Is there a certain grace period I have for making moves such as this?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.