UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: matson15 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 461220  
Subject: An interesting, possibly growing List Date: 12/29/2012 2:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://www.govexec.com/management/2012/12/sequestration-watc...

Details are scarce on how the across-the-board budget cuts set to kick in on Jan. 2, 2013, would affect jobs at specific agencies. But some indications are trickling in. We have compiled a list of possible implications, should Congress and President Obama fail to reach a deficit reduction agreement in time to avoid the sequester. Some of the predictions are based on information from agencies, others are from outside groups analyzing the situation. We will update the list as more information becomes available. Please use the comment section below to let us know if you have additional information about your agency.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412347 of 461220
Subject: Re: An interesting, possibly growing List Date: 12/29/2012 3:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I notice that no members of Congress or their staffs appear on this list.

Jeff

Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412348 of 461220
Subject: Re: An interesting, possibly growing List Date: 12/29/2012 3:11 PM
Recommendations: 0
I thought the cliff deal was made in 2010 or 2011?

And the details were all in there?

so why is this 'reporter' reporting that someone needs to fill him in?

why go to print on a topic with a very limited idea of what was planned in 2011? I know this is the internut....but the guy's 'report' is weak.......

maybe its me.....I dont get the points made by the author.....but I think the author is a king without clothing.....

Dave

Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412350 of 461220
Subject: Re: An interesting, possibly growing List Date: 12/29/2012 3:22 PM
now with a little research of my own I see how detailed the 'reporter' in the OP is getting. Literally who goes home with less pay.

Here is some Macro food for thought and it is in pictures.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image...

bar graphs, charts, maps, etc......the impact is going to be immense.....

odds are the parties will not meet anywhere at all....never mind in the middle and the country will go careening into the next few months.....

Dave

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412356 of 461220
Subject: Re: An interesting, possibly growing List Date: 12/29/2012 4:37 PM
Recommendations: 3
odds are the parties will not meet anywhere at all....never mind in the middle and the country will go careening into the next few months.....

When *I* say it you get all bent out of shape, and now you 'plagiarize' my post?
http://boards.fool.com/fiscal-cliff-or-slippery-slope-304549...

Desert (Glad to have helped bring you around to the facts) Dave

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412361 of 461220
Subject: Re: An interesting, possibly growing List Date: 12/29/2012 5:50 PM
Recommendations: 12
...would affect jobs...

There's that meme again, that everything the government does is supposed to be seen as a "jobs" program.

Since the mob doesn't want to pay the tax to cover the cost of these "jobs", then the "jobs" are not wanted, and the mob will have to get used to life without the services these "jobs" provide.

Steve

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412372 of 461220
Subject: Re: An interesting, possibly growing List Date: 12/30/2012 2:04 AM
Since the mob doesn't want to pay the tax to cover the cost of these "jobs", then the "jobs" are not wanted, and the mob will have to get used to life without the services these "jobs" provide.

Tisk tisk! So cold, so heartless, so ... so ... Libertarian!
You'll never get elected to office that way!

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412378 of 461220
Subject: Re: An interesting, possibly growing List Date: 12/30/2012 11:34 AM
Recommendations: 13

I'm just turning the proposition around, from "all these po' folks will be out of work because of the budget cuts", to "all these folks will be out of work because the mob doesn't want to pay any tax".

In case you had not noticed, the media is constantly whining about the "cliff", with dire warnings "your taxes will go up", "the price of gas will go up", "the price of milk will go up". And the imposed spending cuts and tax increases make no more than a microscopic dent in the deficit. Living within your means is a beech, isn't it?

Steve

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412386 of 461220
Subject: Re: An interesting, possibly growing List Date: 12/30/2012 4:25 PM
Living within your means is a beech, isn't it?

Steve

Oddly I just got back from a Target and Costco run, heading home on Wednesday and though I might pick up a few things. I ended up buying nothing for myself though I did pick up some things for the little ones here and wife bought a few things she said were better priced than at home.

Has 'stuff' been getting more expensive here, cheaper in Canada or is it just my imagination that pricing has gotten much closer?

A lot of things that I used to stock up on are not worth the suitcase room anymore.

Any <how does one cut and paste on an Ipad?> mouse

OT - Best Christmas gift this year an Ipad from Banker lady and we each got a check from Diplomat lady. Worst gift a tube of bacon flavoured tooth paste from RK, which I will admit I haven't tried yet.

I bought the littlest one a Mini-mouse scooter (3+), wife insisted I had to get the almost five year old one 'or else there will be trouble' so I got her a 5+ Razor. They were a hit at Xmas but SIL kept rolling around the house on the Razor with eldest grand daughter in hot pursuit so RK order him an adult sized one from Amazon for next day delivery. He loves it.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412396 of 461220
Subject: Re: An interesting, possibly growing List Date: 12/30/2012 9:58 PM

I'm just turning the proposition around, from "all these po' folks will be out of work because of the budget cuts", to "all these folks will be out of work because the mob doesn't want to pay any tax".

In case you had not noticed...

Oops!

I was just kidding!

I thought you were a Hippie. ;-)

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412417 of 461220
Subject: Re: An interesting, possibly growing List Date: 12/31/2012 11:12 AM
Recommendations: 44
I was just kidding!

I thought you were a Hippie. ;-)

If everyone worked in mainstream retail for several years, like I did, they would realise what horrendous chiselers USians are.

I'm not talking about straight up shoplifters, who pinch merchandise and sell it on the street, or the brassier ones that take stuff off the shelf, bring it up to the counter and demand a refund. Nor the ones that buy stuff with a check, then demand a cash refund before the check bounces.

I'm not talking about the sort that buys stuff, then takes the new item out of the box, puts some old piece of junk in the box for ballast, then goes back to the store with the new box and their receipt and demands a refund, hoping the clerk doesn't look inside the box.

I'm not even talking about the ones that buy something when it's on sale, then, after the sale is over, ditch the receipt and demand a refund of the full retail price.

I'm talking about the chiselers who use retail stores as free rental services. They buy a camcorder, then go on a vacation, and refund the camcorder when their vacation is over. They buy a stereo a couple days before New Year, and after their New Year party is over, refund the stereo. They buy a half dozen office telephones, then, when their telemarketing contract is complete, refund the phones. People that buy particle board "ready to assemble" furniture, then say "you displayed the fully assembled desk, not a pile of parts, you need to build this for me for free". People who buy stuff just to play with it for a couple weeks, then refund it and buy something else, play with it for a couple weeks, then refund it and buy something else....over and over.

People in that last group would be insulted if you called them crooks. They think they are entitled to do what they are doing. They throw a hissy fit if you refuse to refund the item or charge a restocking fee. The reality is they are cheating the store just as surely as the shoplifter.

The same goes for the chiselers who demand government services, and demand the services be free, and refuse to pay tax to cover the cost of the services they demand.
/rant

Steve

Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412418 of 461220
Subject: Re: An interesting, possibly growing List Date: 12/31/2012 11:44 AM
Recommendations: 8
I'm with Steve on this one. I find it ironic that no one wants to pay for the services they are demanding and insisting that others are more capable of supporting the load.

If it takes buying one less plasma TV per family to get decent health care and good education then it seems the "American standard of living" will have to accommodate this.

People object when you point out that subsidizing their taxes because they claim they can't afford them is charity. If you substitute "living expenses" for "taxes", then the sentence becomes almost a dictionary definition of charity.

So the proud American middle class is now reduced to clawing for more charity rather than live in the fashion they did a decade or two ago by giving up their taste for luxuries they can't afford in lieu of paying for the government services they desire.

This is a zero sum game and you can't have it both ways without either begging for alms or stealing from others.

Jeff

Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412500 of 461220
Subject: Re: An interesting, possibly growing List Date: 1/1/2013 7:34 AM
Recommendations: 1
This is a zero sum game and you can't have it both ways without either begging for alms or stealing from others.

Jeff

IT certainly does not have to be a zero sum game.

We can set up clearly thought out policies that make the pie greater. The pie being the size of the US GDP.

If we grow our economy with demand side policies and a long term set of objectives, we will go well beyond having a zero sum game. This is why the majority of super wealthy support tax hikes in moderation.

In fact over doing anything right now would be bad for the economy later. We can not raise capital gains taxes very high, because we will need to raise them ten and fifteen years out against a looming inflation at that time. We can not create a savings and loan set of institutions as were set up after the great depression, because when inflation gets ugly later on the distortions to the free markets worsens the blow to the American and therefor the global economy.

We do need to raise taxes somewhat to create a milieu more conducive to wealth being invested productively in businesses as opposed to hedge funds. One party is out of whack on this topic. They are completely against this nation and the vast majority of the American public at this time knows this.

As for the cuts to welfare, medicare, medicaid, and social security colas, we don't have a set of problems in all of those as the one party is claiming. Food stamps and unemployment must go on as well. But medicare in particular is burdensome longer term. We need to in the main have bargaining between the govt and medical suppliers such as big pharma and medical equipment vendors. Currently the law is clearly favoring the insurers, big pharma and equipment folks. This was meant to last a few more years to buy out their legal and business rights.

What would also solve our budget gap or the great distance between receivables and expenditures is time and an end to the policies of a zero sum game. Long term we need the rich to get much richer, along with the general public getting a livable deal.

People out of pride dont state it clearly in public, but most folks simply work. They cant really save much if at all. Other folks go into business, and most businesses eventually fail. Then there is all the welfare folks. Bottom line very few people make a lot of money and save it successfully. If the rank and file in one certain party began to comprehend that and the cost of it to the average guy, but moreover the cost to the nation as a whole, we would see a lot more progress in DC.

We were on the edge last night. We are not off the cliff by a long shot. February sees the debt ceiling debate flair.

I still clearly see the dollar appreciating from here. Things are not going to be good for the longs early this year. JMO

What is good about any of this? The transparency of DC is great. While the press keeps calling it a headache for the public along with several other pejoratives about how much gridlock at our expense, the transparency is what this nation needs.

We have had massive voter turn out from African Americans and Latinos Americans. We need to see more involvement not just based on a skin color, but based on discussions of the nation's financial business.

When the dust settles, we Americans can pat ourselves on the back for how our nation has seen to its business for the first time in decades. We will have the pride the greatest generation had coming home from WW II seasoned, experienced, knowledgeable men and women who had a country to work and build. They knew their stuff much more clearly than the supply side ME generation ever thought of knowing their business.

The ME generation attitudes and ideas have let down tens of millions of Americans. What do you want? Who do you want to see succeed in setting the course this nation will follow for the next two decades?

Dave

If I live long enough I will get back to being a supply sider.....dont get me wrong......but if you cant understand what I am saying.....you probably will be a liberal some twenty years from now and equally outdated to where you are today.......

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement