Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RaptorD2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 44951  
Subject: An Open Letter Date: 9/20/2012 1:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 29
To My Dear, Anonymous Neighbor,

Well, quite the draught we're in, isn't it. It was so bad that the mayor actually instituted a law making it a crime to water on the wrong days, depending on one's address being even or odd.

I apologize for failing to adjust my sprinkler system on the first day. That said, I will never understand why you took it upon yourself to call the police and report the incident. Couldn't you have just come over and told us so we could make adjustments to be in compliance?

I also wonder, Did you know that the tickets and fines (the day of our 'offense') started on a Monday and was first announced on that particular Monday morning in the local paper? Did you know that approximately 40% of our city's population who get the local paper (including me) don't get a paper on Monday or Tuesday? Did you know that the fine will be from $100 to $500 for watering our lawn beginning at 1:00 am during the pre-dawn hours of the first day of the new law? Did you know that the crime was made a misdemeanor? Did you know that with a misdemeanor on my wife's record (she unfortunately was home when the police came to stops this dastardly crime I committed) will affect her job as a surgical RN? Did you know that she will not be allowed to travel to some countries, including Canada? Do you have nothing better to do than watch your neighbors sprinklers run and jot down the day and time?

Finally, did you know that I consider your anonymous gesture to be a cowardly, chicken $hit thing to do to anyone, let alone a neighbor who has done nothing to any neighbor but loan time, help, a builder's advice and every type of tool known to man to others whenever asked?

I hope your sprinkler goes off on the wrong day, or you find yourself without a drink in the desert, because I'll ... well, actually I don't know what I'll do, because I don't know who you are. So I'll probably just do what any decent neighbor would do and let you know the law and suggest changing your watering schedule, or give you water when you are dieing of thirst in the desert.

But you know very well who I am, so ... Bite me.

--Even Number & Normally Even-Tempered
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39285 of 44951
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 9/20/2012 1:31 AM
Recommendations: 20
Did you know that with a misdemeanor on my wife's record (she unfortunately was home when the police came to stops this dastardly crime I committed) will affect her job as a surgical RN? Did you know that she will not be allowed to travel to some countries, including Canada?

Get a lawyer. Fast. A lawyer might be able to talk this down to a citation and keep your wife's record clean. It'll be worth the money.

There's a skunk that hangs out underneath my living room window. Please let me know if you want him airshipped to your neighbor.

Nancy
we just had floods. again.

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39286 of 44951
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 9/20/2012 1:39 AM
Recommendations: 1
There's a skunk that hangs out underneath my living room window. Please let me know if you want him airshipped to your neighbor.

Nancy

Go you halves on that.

MichaelR

Author: RaptorD2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39287 of 44951
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 9/20/2012 1:54 AM
Recommendations: 10

Very kind offer, Nancy, but you know what? They're probably related and I'd just be giving free airfare for a Skunk Family Reunion.

Dan

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39288 of 44951
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 9/20/2012 7:38 AM
Recommendations: 0
If your neighbor was up at 1-2 a.m. to hear your sprinkler system and maybe went outside to be sure it was happening on the wrong side of the street, s/he probably has insomnia--as well as a judgmental, mean streak a mile wide. Kind of a terrible jail sentence right there.

The first week or two of the new regulation should've provided warnings for infractions rather than fines & misdemeanors. I hope you can get this fixed.

Author: CindyC72 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39290 of 44951
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 9/20/2012 2:03 PM
Recommendations: 8
Get a lawyer. Fast.

This. Considering the damage this could do to your wife's career, it will be worth the money.

I hope a moose takes an unnatural romantic interest in your neighbor's car.

Cindy

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39300 of 44951
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 9/20/2012 6:24 PM
I was going to reply to express outrage at your dastardly neighbor's behavior...

But after reading the other posts in this thread, I'm laughing too hard to stay upset.

Frydaze1

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39303 of 44951
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 9/20/2012 7:01 PM
Why do I think the local judge will probably dismiss the charges given the circumstances as you have described them? Heck if people can run around with a concealed weapon with no penalty, how can watering your lawn be a misdemeanor?

Author: zol Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39311 of 44951
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 9/20/2012 8:02 PM
I would give your anonymous neighbor the benefit of the doubt. Were you the only one in your neighborhood to get a ticket? Could it be possible that the town sent out law enforcement that morning to check if people didn't follow their new, shiny law? Around here they set up speed traps and are very sneaky about it. They seem to be more vigilant around the end of the month and end of the quarter.

- zol

Author: SpendItIfUGotIt Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39312 of 44951
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 9/20/2012 8:47 PM
Did you know that she will not be allowed to travel to some countries, including Canada?

Since when do they check you criminal record at the border?

Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39313 of 44951
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 9/20/2012 10:42 PM
Recommendations: 3
From http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html#e...

Please Note: Anyone with a criminal record (including misdemeanors or alcohol-related driving offenses) may not be able to enter Canada without first obtaining a special waiver well in advance of any planned travel. To determine whether you may be inadmissible and how to overcome this finding, please refer to the Canadian citizenship and immigration website.

Well, that's interesting.

Author: eudaimon6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39314 of 44951
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 9/20/2012 11:21 PM
Petty offenses aren't so petty after all.

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39315 of 44951
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 9/21/2012 12:49 AM
Recommendations: 2
Petty offenses aren't so petty after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjKF7aQthcQ

The name of this song is Alice's restaurant...

Author: stellla Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39316 of 44951
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 9/21/2012 12:51 AM
Sorry your city was a jerk, too. Around here, they wait a week after enforcing rationing or so before giving tickets. I actually think they start out mailing you a warning, then if you're caught again, give you a warning in person, and then if caught again, they fine you.

I don't know if it's better or worse that we've had some level of water restrictions for most of the last 5 years. But the city tries to work with people. Really sorry yours didn't, at least so far.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39346 of 44951
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 9/24/2012 7:06 PM
and if one is Canadian, and gets a DUI - no passport...

peace & rules
t

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39529 of 44951
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/9/2012 12:39 AM
I've never understood why people especially in drought areas waste water on lawns.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement