Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 45143  
Subject: An Open Letter Date: 10/8/2012 1:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 37
To the Trooper who assisted DD#2,

Thank you so much for taking the time and having the patience to deal with our daughter as she dealt with having hit an 8 point buck with her car Saturday night. She was having possibly one of the worst weeks of her relatively young life!

Just a week earlier she turned 20, and it had poured rain all day on the day of her party and a scheduled bonfire party had to be moved indoors. So they rescheduled it. During the week, her grandfather fell again and was hospitalized. Then she found out that she had to work the closing shift on Saturday night.

At 11:50 p.m. she and two friends were making her way down the road to her party when 3 deer ran across the road. She slowed down, they were running left, so she pulled as far over as she could to the right. At the last second, the buck decided to right back right. She nailed him with her passenger fender. It took out her headlight, bent up her hood and made the car not driveable.

After calling her BF, who was less than a mile away, she called a Deputy, who in turn called you. You were there quickly and turned what could have been an awful night into something tolerable.

You joked with her about hunting season and the appropriate weapon to use for deer (a car not being on the list), you explained that CR244 has been getting calls pretty much every night about deer getting hit, and you assured her that it was not something she could have avoided.

But honestly, the best thing you did for her came when one of her friends asked if DD#2 could have the antlers from the deer. You said sure and asked her if she had anything to remove them with? When she said she didn't, you brought out a hunting knife and cut them off for her.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You totally reminded her that DPS Officers are human, some of them hunt, and some of them have a wicked sense of humor. She needed something positive to come out of that week and you provided it.

Grateful Mom
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39512 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/8/2012 1:07 PM
Recommendations: 1
Did you save the meat?

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39513 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/8/2012 1:37 PM
Recommendations: 0
Did you save the meat?

Not allowed to :0(

LWW

Author: waswaswas6 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39533 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/9/2012 9:40 AM
>>But honestly, the best thing you did for her came when one of her friends asked if DD#2 could have the antlers from the deer. You said sure and asked her if she had anything to remove them with? When she said she didn't, you brought out a hunting knife and cut them off for her.

>Did you save the meat?

Not allowed to :0(

LWW

Well played, Trooper. After all, it's not like you could eat the antlers, too.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39534 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/9/2012 10:20 AM
Well played, Trooper. After all, it's not like you could eat the antlers, too.

Well, you can, in a way. BFs new Aussie pup, Hemi, will get them as a welcome home present. They make pretty much indestructible chew toys.

LWW

Author: mbarr Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39535 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/9/2012 10:47 AM
Recommendations: 3
She was having possibly one of the worst weeks of her relatively young life!

I'm sorry that your daughter hit a deer and am glad she is OK. But if that is one of the worst weeks of her life then she is a very lucky young lady.

It rained on her birthday? Oh, the horror. She had to work on Saturday night? Let's bring in the grief counselors. Oh boy.

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39537 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/9/2012 11:09 AM
Recommendations: 21
I'm sorry that your daughter hit a deer and am glad she is OK. But if that is one of the worst weeks of her life then she is a very lucky young lady.

It rained on her birthday? Oh, the horror. She had to work on Saturday night? Let's bring in the grief counselors. Oh boy.

Yeah, just ignore the grandfather in the hospital and such. It wasn't a bad week at all.

Frydaze1

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39538 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/9/2012 11:12 AM
Recommendations: 11

You're right, she's been a very lucky young lady.

I guess you missed the part about her grandfather falling and being hospitalized. She's been having to watch one of her favorite people slowly die by degrees for the past 6 years. So yeah, after having that start her birthday week and then ending it with a freakin' deer taking out half the front end of her car, it was possibly one of the worst weeks of her life.

LWW

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39545 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/9/2012 11:20 PM
Recommendations: 38
Weird - and not very nice - to post on what is obviously a very heartfelt post just to be negative and critical.

It is always such a moment of grace when someone does something kind like that trooper did - you never know what kind of life another person lives, or if they are having a bad week, or if they have health problems, relationship problems, etc. Sometimes just a kind word at the right time can make a world of difference to a person.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39556 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/10/2012 11:10 AM
It is always such a moment of grace when someone does something kind like that trooper did - you never know what kind of life another person lives, or if they are having a bad week, or if they have health problems, relationship problems, etc. Sometimes just a kind word at the right time can make a world of difference to a person.

She learned early on that if you are repectful, most of the time the adult will be respectful as well. But honestly, cutting off the antlers for her? That really made her week. We have the adjuster meeting us out there tomorrow. Hopefully, her beloved "Sacha" will be fixable. She had just recovered all the door panels herself and was making plans to re-upholster the seats. Most of the damage looks cosmetic, except for the deployment of both airbags.

LWW

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39568 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/10/2012 3:31 PM
Most of the damage looks cosmetic, except for the deployment of both airbags.

That could cost enough to total the car.
jC

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39571 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/10/2012 5:31 PM

That's my biggest concern right now. We bought it for her with cash for just under $7K less than two years ago (it was below book). I'm hoping it won't reach the magic percentage number to have them say fixing it isn't worth it.

LWW

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39575 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/10/2012 6:53 PM

That's my biggest concern right now. We bought it for her with cash for just under $7K less than two years ago (it was below book). I'm hoping it won't reach the magic percentage number to have them say fixing it isn't worth it.

LWW

Figure it is totaled.

You can buy it back, or you can buy my 2009 VibeGT. It is Red. Be a little more than 7 K, but a nice deal for anyone who gets it.

Looks like that, less miles, cheaper.

http://www.motortrend.com/ni/classifieds/24726170/1251/

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39578 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/10/2012 11:55 PM
But she is ok.

Isn't that worth $7k?

jC
that's the way I felt when the hood folded in half and kept me from going under the tractor trailer

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39590 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/11/2012 10:33 AM
But she is ok.

Isn't that worth $7k?

Of course the fact that she's okay is worth the $7K we spent on the car; the issue becomes what happens if the car is totalled? I don't think we'd get nearly that much for it now, and there will still be the issue of finding her something that she can drive that will still be safe. We see the adjuster at 2:00, fingers crossed that it's fixable.

LWW

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39591 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/11/2012 10:34 AM
You can buy it back, or you can buy my 2009 VibeGT. It is Red. Be a little more than 7 K, but a nice deal for anyone who gets it.

I feel certain that there has to be an alternative that doesn't meet either of the two options above. I don't see a Vibe in her future :0) Appreciate the offer, though!

LWW

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39599 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/11/2012 2:02 PM
hmm almost 2 now...

I think you will find it works out.

If it's fixable in a relyable way, that will get done.

If not, insurance will pay enough for a downpayment on another car.

Wishing you (and DD) well
jC

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39610 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/11/2012 5:38 PM
I don't see a Vibe in her future :0)

Don't know what she was driving when she hit the dear, but my boy hit the back of 3/4 ton Dodge at 70 MPH and walked away with a sore hand, (He couldn't swing a hammer for a month.)

That wreck totaled the Vibe and the 3/4 ton truck.

"course when another 3/4 ton totaled his Saturn Astra, he liked hatchbacks, I gave him my 2002 Avalon. He is growing up now and appreciated the nice ride, but missed being able to stuff the car full like he could the Vibe and Astra.

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39611 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/11/2012 5:47 PM
Don't know what she was driving when she hit the dear, but my boy hit the back of 3/4 ton Dodge at 70 MPH and walked away with a sore hand, (He couldn't swing a hammer for a month.)

Sacha was a 2004 Mazda Tribute. A lovely little blue SUV that DD#2 was in the process of customizing (her BF is a mechanic who loves to tweak cars and trucks).

Sadly, Sacha will be no more. The adjuster said that her damage exceeded the value by about $1200. So now we start (used) car shopping.

He did find 5 other Tributes in the area that she may or may not want to purchase, but I think she really wants to go back to a pick up.

LWW

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39612 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/11/2012 5:48 PM
Thanks, jC. Yep, it was totalled. We're now officially car shopping again.

LWW

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39614 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/11/2012 6:03 PM
Sadly, Sacha will be no more. The adjuster said that her damage exceeded the value by about $1200. So now we start (used) car shopping.
Doesn't take much. When out house flooded in Ike, we had taken the back seats out of the Toyota Sienna to make more room for the evacuation. We left them in the garage, the water came up and ruined them. We had to claim them on the car insurance instead of the flood insurance.

The adjuster called up and said, "Look according to our guidelines, you are entitled to new seats, however, new seats come to about 2500 dollars and that would total the car. I can get used seats for about 1500." I told her to send me a check, I would get the seats locally. Later I sold the car for 1200 dollars and it still doesn't have the rear most seat. We see it every once in a while. I had 275,000 on it when we sold it, the guy keeping it running must be a magician.

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39625 of 45143
Subject: Re: An Open Letter Date: 10/11/2012 10:10 PM
She just found a 2000 Jeep TJ(?) in Conroe for $2,000. I told her she can use the balance of what she gets for gas ;0)

Seriously, she's in major pick up mode now. Older model, take out the deer before it takes out her.

LWW

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement