Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 44
To the heating and AC company representative who was giving me an estimate on a new system:

Our appointment last week was for sometime between 6pm and 8pm. When you called at 8:15pm to ask if it was too late to come, I was okay with that. When your 10 minutes away from my house stretched 45 minutes to 9:00pm, I was slightly perturbed. You did a fine job at looking over the work I wanted done. Sitting down at the kitchen table to review my options, I didn't realize you'd like to chit-chat and take two hours. Some people like to go to bed before 11:00pm. During our discussion, you wrote down Rheem AC and Rheem furnace. It would have been nice if you included model numbers. Then you started making promises about discounts if I did both system. You wrote along the margins of the form and from one form to a second. All the writing looks like an elementary school kid wrote it up.

A few days later, I emailed you asking for a formal written proposal. I was surprised to hear that you don't do "fancy" proposals. When I insisted I needed one, you said "This much work will take two or three weeks - Lol", I started getting worried about your professionalism. Since you mentioned that you were working 100 hr weeks without stopping for food, I was relieved when you referred me to the president of the company. I received a nice written proposal from him which included a $700 humidifier that you were giving me in your proposal. I guess the president had trouble deciphering the promises you made to me too. It was a good indicator of why I insist on a written proposal.

When you emailed a few days later to ask when I wanted to schedule the installation, I kindly told you that I had decided to use a different company and I thanked you for your time. I didn't know I was going to get a lesson in customer persuasion. Bragging about how you are the best is fine. I'm sorry I caught you at a bad time when there was a heat wave and your company is moving to a new building. I know my memory can be faulty. I thought I had heard you were slammed with business due to an Angie's List special. I should take notes next time. I'm glad you told me multiple times that "it's just a piece of paper". I'm sure we wouldn't have any misunderstanding if you showed up with the entry level system instead of the deluxe version. You delivered exactly what was on your scribbled proposal - a Rheem air conditioner. Hard to argue with that.

I was probably wrong to follow up your excellent email by saying I choose someone else because of your casual attitude toward my questions on the quote. I did complement you on how good your quote was with regards to price. You may have missed that. I'm sorry that caused you to write again. I'm saddened by your wife's death from a car crash and your three bouts with cancer. Yes, you went through some serious stuff buddy so I accept my view to keep this transaction on a formal business basis is little off as you put it. I'll try to lighten up. I should trust you because I've known you for a week now.

I see the error of my ways. I'll call the other company and cancel. You are the bestest.

Sincerely,

PSU
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement