Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Dear New England Historic and Genealogical Society,

I am unable to determine whether you don't like non-members asking for information, are desperately in need of funds, or assume that everyone working on their genealogy is rich.

When I asked about whether I would be allowed to enter your hallowed halls* in order to do research, and was informed there was a $15.00 charge per day, that seemed a little high, but not outrageous. After all, your headquarters is located on the most expensive street in Boston, and the rent is obviously going to be high.

However, when I asked for the price of ordering a photocopy of an article, and was told it was $35.00 because I was not a member, $0.35 per page and $1.50 for shipping, that seemed a lot high.

Fortunately, I found the information I needed at a public library, where an incredibly nice man showed me how to find what I need. I got my photocopy for a total of $1.00. He mentioned that he was one of your members, so I'm willing to believe that most of your membership is composed of very nice people, and the people who make decisions are the ones who don't want me around.

Next time I'll know not to bother you.

Sincerely,

Nancy
*No, of course I didn't use "hallowed halls" in my email.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement