UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Mardee1000 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 176810  
Subject: An Open Letter to all Fools Posting Here Date: 9/14/2001 10:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 93
I'm fairly new to the Motley Fool and investing, and have been slowly taking in everything I've read over the last month. Since the tragedy, I figured I'd stay away for a bit, since no one would be posting messages about stocks at this time. And that's what the Fool is all about, right? Wrong -- I stopped back on Tuesday, and couldn't believe my eyes. I found hundreds of messages of support from the members of these boards -- messages of hope and inspiration from a caring, intelligent group of people.

Since then, I've been reading as many posts as I can, and wanted to take a minute to tell you how amazing I think all of you are.

I've read messages from people telling of their pain and suffering -- people who have lost loved ones, and those who have suffered from watching their cities attacked. I've read about folks wanting to share stories of hope and faith; and some just wanting to talk -- to anyone -- about this horrendous tragedy.

I've been hearing about the many ways to donate -- whether it be money, blood or supplies. I've learned about people who plan on donating tax refund checks, the money they would normally spend on Drips that month, and even gains from stocks for the next year, to support the efforts of rescuers and help the victims' families. I've been informed of vigils being held, and ways to outwardly show our support for America. I've even been told of ways to help out the economy by not showing signs of panic when the market does open.

I've been moved to tears when reading about the surge of patriotism that has arisen from this disaster. I was aroused to anger when I learned about incidences of hate and prejudice. And I choked up when I found out about the ways that other countries have reacted to our crisis. Could anyone not be moved upon hearing that the National Anthem was played for the first time in history at the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace?

But above all, I've been astounded and gratified by the tremendous amount of compassion, generosity and spirit that has been shown by everyone posting here. This is what America is all about. And this is why I am proud to be an American. It's very easy, in this day and age, to sit back and watch the world go by, letting others carry the load. You all have proven that our spirit has not been broken; that we truly CAN overcome -- and that this really is “the land of the free, and the home of the brave.”

Thanks for the inspiration.

Mardee

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement