UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11013  
Subject: An Options Newbie's Homework--Part 2 Date: 5/24/2001 7:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
A popular question from persons new to options has been, "What books should I read?" If a new lurker spends a little time here, he or she is likely to find that some posters make more sense to him/her than others. Bearing this in mind, one might want to pay attention not only to what books are recommended, but to who has recommended them. Here is a list by poster of some of the answers. The number before the recommended book is the first post in which that poster recommended it. The numbers in parentheses after the book are subsequent posts in which the same Fool recommends this book.

Cautions: Some of the recommendations were made in the context of a specific question asked by another poster. Post numbers are provided so that interested persons can see the context in which the recommendation was made. Also, be aware that not the recommendations are not all made with equal enthusiasm. I have tried to differentiate recommendations from discussion of books or questions about books, and include only recommendations. This is necessarily somewhat subjective. It is also possible that I may have missed writing down a post number and omitted a recommendation by clerical error.

Agentq
Michael Thomsett's book "Getting Started with Options"

asmythee
"Options for the Stock Investor" by Jim Bittman, (215, 226, 356)
"Options: Essential Concepts and Trading Strategies" by the Options Institute
"Options as a Strategic Investment" by McMillan. (654)
pick up something by McMillan, Bittman, or Hull.
"Harrison Roth's LEAPS"
The Dynamic Options Allocation System by Howard Simons

clrgrn
Two books I read recently helped me, also a newbie, tremendously:
Getting Started in Options by Michael Thomsett
The Conservative Investor's Guide to Trading Options by Leroy Gross

covercalls
GETTING STARTED IN OPTIONS by M. Thomsett

datahog
"Options as a Strategic Investment" by McMillan (2691, 4225, 4428)
" Option volatility and Pricing" by Natenberg.(3425, 3749, 3777, 3789, 3804, 4105, 4225, 4428)
"The Options Workbook" by Anthony J. Saliba. (3777, 3985, 4225, 4428)

DNeuman
Ralph Vince: " The Mathematics of Money Management"

dwade
1399, 1401
McMillan (McMillan on Options, not OSI)

fsandy
"Getting Started in Options" by M.C. Thomsett,
"Options as a Strategic Investment" by L.G. McMillan.
Van K. Tharp "Trade your way to financial freedom"

GammaBoy
Getting Started with Options, Michael Tomsett
Options for the Stock Investor, James Bittman

Grahamified
Kevin Connolly "Buying and Selling Volatility"
Brian Stark's "Special Situation Investing: Hedging, Arbitrage and Liquidation"

InfernalElk
You might try "Options for the Stock Investor" by James Bittman. There's another book by LeRoy Gross or Grossman for conservative investors. Both books discuss covered calls.
"Trading for a Living" by Dr. Elder

isabelta
"Getting Started in Options" by Michael C Thomsett

jharvey963
LEAPS by Harrison Roth
Using Options to Buy Stocks by Dennis Eisen.

jim7485
"LEAPS" by Harrison Roth (4334)
"Options for the Stock Investor" by James Bittman

jwpii
Options As a Strategic Investment
"LEAPS - What They Are and How to Use Them for Profit and Protection" by Harrison Roth.

Lndscpr
The first options book I read was "Options As A Strategic Investment" Mc Millan, it is way good and complicated. I actually put it down, feeling overwhelmed, and picked up "Getting Started in Options" Thomsett. The Thomsett book is a very easy read and I highly recomend it along with the Mc Millan book.

lusa
Buying Stocks Without Money -- Dennis Eisen
Using Options to Buy Stocks/Build Wealth With Little Risk and No Capital -- Dennis Eisen (4329)
Stocks for Options Trading : Low-Risk, Low-Stress Strategies for Selling Stock Options -- Harvey Conrad Friedentag, Harvey Conra Frientag
Fundamentals of the Options Market -- Michael Williams, Amy S. Hoffman

MDCigan
McMillans book Options as a Strategic Investment (3800)
Options-Essential Concepts & Trading Strategies which is put out by The Options Institute which is the educational division of the CBOE. (4262)
LEAPS by Harrison Roth

PeterEidson
Trillion Dollar Bet, a NOVA video produced by WGBH Educational Foundation
Options Pricing & Volatility, Advanced Trading Strategies & Techniques, Sheldon Natenberg
Buying and Selling Volatility, Kevin Connonly

s2000
"Getting Started in Option" by Thomsette

shortstack
McMillan's book: "Options as a Strategic Investment." McMillan, Lawrence G. -- ISBN 0-13-636002-5

silverstein
"Getting Started in Options" by Michael C. Thomsett

srabin
"Leaps (Long-Term Equity Anticipation Securities : What They Are and How to Use Them for Profit and Protection)" by Harrison Roth

TMFSynchronicity
McMillan: Options as a Strategic Investment"
Harrison Roth's LEAPS
Read the Natenberg Sp?) book, read the CBOE info, and any McMillan books are good, as well. Another personal favorite of mine is Harrison Roth's "LEAPS".

ttm
The McMillan book is, I guess, the "bible" but it is rather complex and there's just too much information without a good way to boil it down. Omega Research has a giveaway booklet called "McMillan on Options" which is a great summary of the essentials. They will bombard you with solicitations to buy their "Options Station" software.
"Option Volatility and Pricing" by Natenberg. (4225, 4228)
I'm neutral on OSI. It's like an encyclopedia of everything one could ever do with options. But it gives no real clue as to how to pick THREE things one might look at as a newbie, pick ONE or TWO of them, and play for a few dollars

zman49
"Options Volatility and Pricing" by Sheldon Natenberg (2522, 2904, 3535)
1239 (draft FAQ)
CBOE bibliography at http://www.cboe.com/education/biblio.htm (2300, 3544, 3748, 4157)
Books on option pricing listed at http://www.numa.com/bookshop/rec.htm#option-p
The Options Institute: Options: Essential Concepts and Trading Strategies, Third Edition, New York, New York, McGraw-Hill, 1999. By CBOE staff and consultants.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement