Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
An RV won't be able to absorb the cost of a sufficient battery for a long time to come.

No, but a plug-in hybrid RV could make good sense. The good-sized battery and electric motor would greatly improve efficiency, and I'm sure RVers would enjoy being able to tool around a few miles without running a diesel, but an having a gas or diesel motor would give you the long range capability you need at a far more affordable cost than hundreds of kilowatt hours of batteries.

Good point. Maybe an electric EV could make sense if its use was as a rental, but that is probably a small part of the market, not big enough to justify development of an electric version.

As for a hybrid, I presume that pretty much all vehicles will be hybrid soon, with at least a small battery capacity, say 20-40 km's worth, which doesn't add much in the way of battery cost. For instance, my Audi A3 has a 40 km range with a 8.8 kWh battery, and with current battery costs estimated at about $120/kWh (and dropping fast), that only adds about $1100, and means I save about $600/year in gasoline (adding about $150 to my electricity bill). Of course, batteries are not the only cost involved, but they used to be the main cost ($500-1000 just a few years ago) and are now becoming cheap.

Regards, DTB
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement