Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: newsreporter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1193  
Subject: Analyst comments Date: 7/1/2012 1:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Analyst on Nike: 'I’m Going to Stay Away From It'
http://www.cnbc.com/id/48018212

“Clearly, a lot of new product is working, especially here in the states, but it sounds to us like China, especially the tier 1 and tier 2 cities, may be a little oversaturated at this time,” said Sam Poser, a senior footwear and apparel analyst at Sterne Agee.

Following Nike’s disappointing earnings release, Sterne Agee downgraded its stock to ‘neutral’ from a ‘buy’ rating and a $125 price target. The company’s stock plunged in trading on Friday.

Nike reported that its gross margin fell due to marketing expenses related to the Summer Olympics, a climbing tax rate and a customs charge in one of its emerging markets.

“It sounds like they’ve got a little work to do that could take a year-plus to do it,” Poser told CNBC’s “Squawk on the Street.”

“Business in emerging markets and North America are very strong still,” he said.

Although the company missed analysts’ earnings estimates, it still topped revenue forecasts. It also increased prices and cut costs during the quarter.

Poser called Nike a “show-me situation” at this time, adding that he wants to make sure that the company delivers on what it is promising.

“It’s a great company,” he said. “It’s just that until I get a little more clarity, I’m going to stay away from it.”
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement