Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mawhinney Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: ANCESTRY DNA TEST Date: 1/26/2014 5:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Has anyone investigated or used the Ancestry.com DNA test? How accurate and reliable is the info?
I've always thought it would be interesting to trace my roots & find out how folks got from one place to another. I've traced "cousins" to Ireland, Scotland, and England. But where before that?

Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18939 of 19483
Subject: Re: ANCESTRY DNA TEST Date: 1/26/2014 6:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
You might try your question on the Genealogy discussion board--

http://boards.fool.com/interesting-story-most-of-my-relative...

There are several DNA typing services that claim to help you find relatives. I would say reliability is questionable. Mine has revealed no close relatives and people who are related turn out to have different DNA. Plus the family comes from Germany, but most matches trace to England.

Of course all sorts of things are possible in tracing blood lines, but I am inclined to believe the test is not so reliable. Possibly sampling is inadequate resulting in contamination or something.

The service that I used puts your data into a massive database and lets you find others with matching DNA. One of my distant cousins had his tested by Ancestry. But they do not share data with the master database and we never learned how to get his info out.

So caution. Don't expect miracles. This is not the DNA test used by law enforcement and to me it could be a hoax.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18940 of 19483
Subject: Re: ANCESTRY DNA TEST Date: 1/26/2014 9:20 PM
mawhinney asks,

I've always thought it would be interesting to trace my roots & find out how folks got from one place to another. I've traced "cousins" to Ireland, Scotland, and England. But where before that?

No matter what color or nationality you are, everyone eventually gets traced back to some kind of monkey in Africa.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-human-famil...

intercst

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18941 of 19483
Subject: Re: ANCESTRY DNA TEST Date: 1/27/2014 2:06 PM
Yes, and because most of us trace our ancestry to Europe, the info you get with your DNA test shows how the gene pool has moved from Africa north to western Asia and then Europe. And where these gene pools are then concentrated.

But the tests risk some bias in that certain groups of people (ie upper middle class) are far more likely to get their DNA tested. So the databases are populated by their DNA. Is that representative of all people living there? Or just the upper middle class?

I'd say the science is primitive at best, but will probably be more useful when a million people have been tested.

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18942 of 19483
Subject: Re: ANCESTRY DNA TEST Date: 2/1/2014 2:18 PM
But the tests risk some bias in that certain groups of people (ie upper middle class) are far more likely to get their DNA tested. So the databases are populated by their DNA. Is that representative of all people living there?

These sites request you send them a swab of your DNA? How long for results? I can tell you for sure that not one of my family ever had a DNA test performed, most ancestors would be way too old, before DNA tests were done.

Birgit

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18943 of 19483
Subject: Re: ANCESTRY DNA TEST Date: 2/1/2014 3:32 PM
Hi Birgit. I'm no expert but if your read the info available on the sites that offer testing, they tell you that they are following the male DNA. The part they monitor gets passed down from generation to generation. Therefore all your brothers and male cousins should have the same DNA.

They then go the next step and try to characterize the DNA patterns geographically. And from that they tell you your ancestors trace to a certain place or area, usually in Europe or western Asia.

At least that is the theory. But the question is does it work in practice. Not in my experience.

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18944 of 19483
Subject: Re: ANCESTRY DNA TEST Date: 2/1/2014 6:59 PM
Hey ma,

Has anyone investigated or used the Ancestry.com DNA test? How accurate and reliable is the info?

It just so happens that DW bought me this for a Christmas present. I have not had a chance to send it in yet, but when I do, I will report back here to let everyone know what I learned..... but it may take a while.

Rich
Arizona

Author: GWPotter Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18945 of 19483
Subject: Re: ANCESTRY DNA TEST Date: 2/1/2014 8:57 PM
Recommendations: 4
I don't want to rain on anybody's parade here, but I suggest you spend some time looking at the accuracy and reliability of the tests. There have been several outside people looking at these.

The reason I mention this is within the last 6 or 9 months the FTC or some government agency filed charges or took some action against one company that was selling DNA services. The company in question got DNA by check swap or hair as I recall and mailed the sample in. Essentially the government's position was the data was misleading and inaccurate.

As I said above - going from memory.

Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18946 of 19483
Subject: Re: ANCESTRY DNA TEST Date: 2/2/2014 12:57 AM
I believe the DNA company that got investigated is “23 and Me.” Someone gave me a gift of a package from them. To use the company, you spit into a vial and send it in to them. I've only ever used the ancestry (or "roots") part, where they trace your genetic roots back thousands of years – way before Columbus, and widespread ocean-crossing traffic. In my own case, I already knew that I had three grandparents who came from Ireland -- and one of the roots went back there. The other grandparent came from Greece, and that was included in one of the general areas they also gave. So, on that, they seemed to make sense. But I never participated in the stuff about health, predisposition to various diseases, etc. That stuff seemed too vague to me, and to depend on a lot of other-than-genetic factors. Plus, what difference is it going to make to your life if you find out that people who have some genetic input like yours are 12% more likely to get disease X than a random member of the population?

culcha

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18947 of 19483
Subject: Re: ANCESTRY DNA TEST Date: 2/7/2014 10:16 AM
My BFF, who was adopted, used the National Geographic DNA service. Cheek swab. Learned she was 100% American Indian. Her husband merely confirmed what he already knew about his Irish and Italian ancestry.

Author: CABob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18948 of 19483
Subject: Re: ANCESTRY DNA TEST Date: 2/7/2014 1:10 PM
My BFF, who was adopted, used the National Geographic DNA service. Cheek swab. Learned she was 100% American Indian. Her husband merely confirmed what he already knew about his Irish and Italian ancestry.

I'm actually surprised that anyone in this day and age is 100% anything.

Bob

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18949 of 19483
Subject: Re: ANCESTRY DNA TEST Date: 2/8/2014 11:27 AM
I should clarify. My BFF's DNA test, at that time from that source, was mitochondrial DNA only, so just info on the matrilineal line. 100% American Indian on her mother's side, father's side untested. Since then I believe there are more detailed tests for women that include the patrilineal line. The DNA markers they checked all go back to the crossing of the Bering Straight, no European markers.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement