UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rubok One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 794  
Subject: And away I go Date: 3/4/2003 8:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Heres the charting program I decided to use.

http://sierrachart.com/

It cost 40.00$ for 6 months,and then you need a data feed.Iuse IBs feed,at 10.00$ a month(free with 30.00$ in commission). It's working out well.IB dose not have historical data,so Ihave to use whatever data I collect day by day.
Currently, I'm trying to reduce all the potential entry patterns to just 2,then direct my foucus on those.
If any body is into or getting into trading e-minis, I would like to open up a dialog to help with the learning process.
Questions are welcome.

Mike
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Whitsnow Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 785 of 794
Subject: Re: And away I go Date: 4/3/2003 2:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
How's it going so far, Mike? Dipping my toes in too.

-Whit

Author: rubok One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 786 of 794
Subject: Re: And away I go Date: 4/4/2003 6:20 PM
<How's it going so far, Mike? Dipping my toes in too.

-Whit >

Whit,I was out of action for the last 3 weeks due to computer problems.I finialy had to do a complete wipe out and reinstall all my sw.I did this on tues.Seems to be working fine now.
Before that,I was doing fairly well getting 3-4 points using a retracement stratage but got taught my lesson about leaving my computer without a stop in place,twice.-14 total.
working my computer and the TWS at IB are by far my weakest part of trading.
Currently I'm working on making myself focus on only 3 seprate strattages and determing exactly under what conditions I'll exucute under.
1.orb-opening range breakout
2.retracement bars in a trend
3.2b reversal

I seen your mesg.at the yahoo-burrow but didnt know if e-minis were aceptable fodder?
I've been learning about trading these on another forum elsewhere,if your intrested I'll post a link.

Whoes your broker?
What charting sw ya using?
Hows T

Thanks for your response

Mike

Author: Whitsnow Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 787 of 794
Subject: Re: And away I go Date: 4/7/2003 10:46 AM
Before that,I was doing fairly well getting 3-4 points using a retracement stratage but got taught my lesson about leaving my computer without a stop in place,twice.-14 total.

Ouch. I always transmit the "crash stop" as soon as I get my fill (I assume you do that too, now ;-))

I'm focusing on retracements and tests. I'm working on an orb strategy (got any good links?). This war market (news) is hard to trade so I'm on the sidelines most of the time. Capital preservation is the name of the game.

I seen your mesg.at the yahoo-burrow but didnt know if e-minis were aceptable fodder?

I assume they are in the context of the Burrow. I know Db daytrades but he has said he doesn't want the group to become another trading forum.

I've been learning about trading these on another forum elsewhere,if your intrested I'll post a link.

Please.

Whoes your broker?
What charting sw ya using?
Hows T

I'm with IB, like most everyone else it seems. I agree, the TWS is a bit unwieldy at first. I used the demo to get used to it and I also use the hotkeys function. For charting, I use the t-VUE program. I didn't want to lay out the $ for another system and it serves my needs for now.

T's good. She is ultra-conservative and is following a strategy of grabbing 2 points a day right now. Probably not a bad thing in a choppy market. I'm a little more daring so I go for the riskier ones sometimes. Been stopped out a lot but overall staying on the plus side. I'm trading small but having a great time doing it.

-Whit

Author: rubok One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 788 of 794
Subject: Re: And away I go Date: 4/7/2003 12:59 PM
I've got to make this quick,I'm having another PC melt down.(must be hard ware?)

http://www.elitetrader.com/

scroll down- click view all forums and threads-look for index futures,click-look for keeping it simple II
or hit search at the top and type in keeping it simple II

Will check back latter

Mike

Author: spedblavio Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 789 of 794
Subject: Re: And away I go Date: 4/7/2003 2:23 PM
Recommendations: 3
Damn, rubok spilled the beans. Now we'll have to come up with a new secret strategy.

Regarding T:

I have a lot of respect and appreciation for her, she has been one of my most important teachers. But I've come to the conclusion that I can't and don't want to trade like her.

She has taught some great principles, but in actual practice there's a lot of discretional element to her trading that is difficult to get across. I have the impression that many of her students do not realize what a delicate balance is involved in the execution of her techniques. There are many small details that work together synergistically, and if you try to bend those details too far the whole thing falls apart. I do believe that it works for her, but I think it's easy to get into trouble or at least get discouraged trying to duplicate it.

Perhaps the main thing I would point out is that she trades with some size. Not huge, but certainly not one contract. To be fair, she has pointed out that someone trading one contract shouldn't be taking all the trades she does, but I don't think that message is present clearly enough, and there is no guidance to speak of about holding on for anything more than a hit & run.

Surely there are many ways to skin the cat, but for me at least, I am more and more convinced that if you want to do this with one contract or small size, you need to be able to hold through some retracements to make it worth it (and be willing to take a lot fewer trades). T gets away with what she does due to size, and due to the fact that her account and experience allow her a more casual attitude towards her trading than most of us can muster. Plus she has Paul chipping away at stock scalps, making a little more income, and again getting away with things that are worth it only because of the size he can swing, thanks to T.

So, I've learned a lot at trendVUE. But now I'm finding I have to unlearn some of it. So it goes.

Author: rubok One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 790 of 794
Subject: Re: And away I go Date: 4/7/2003 3:08 PM
<Damn, rubok spilled the beans>
Jeezz busted already :)

<if you want to do this with one contract or small size, you need to be able to hold through some retracements to make it worth it (and be willing to take a lot fewer trades).>

Sped,I know your doing some testing nowadays,but could you give your opinion on something for me?I really dont know how often, or how many, is a lot of trades and how many is a lot fewer.
I'm trying to determin where to put my bar, in regard to how pickey I should be with each potential trade.
Currently I'm trying to limit my self to a max of 2 ah day.I've got no idea how other small account traders approche this.

Thanks Mike

Author: spedblavio Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 791 of 794
Subject: Re: And away I go Date: 4/7/2003 4:08 PM
Well, that's going to be a matter of personal preference. And if others are anything like me, it probably takes trying a few different things before one really knows one's preference.

Ideally, I think trade frequency should be a function of the chosen strategy, as opposed to an arbitrarily imposed limit. I mean, a limit is not so bad in itself, but I think it's going to be problematic for example if one decides to limit themselves to 2 trades a day, but employs a technique that triggers 10 potential trades a day.

With the sort of thing being discussed at the other board, 1 or 2 trades a day, sometimes none, is all that can reasonably be expected, and I see evidence that that's enough. But obviously you can't be exiting with 3 pts or whatever. I mean, you can try it, but your ratio of avg win to avg loss is going to be crappy.

And there'll be times when you have to watch it come back to BE from a profit 3 or 4 times the size of where T would've been long gone.

Anyway, I'm still verifying these ideas for myself.

Author: Whitsnow Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 792 of 794
Subject: Re: And away I go Date: 4/7/2003 4:36 PM
Sped- I agree with you on T. It's impossible to follow her trading one contract. She's coming out with a new site design in a week or so in response to "subscriber suggestions."

Also, I knew your secret strategy before Mike spilled it. I thought I could milk a new secret strategy out of him ;-).

-Whit

Author: spedblavio Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 793 of 794
Subject: Re: And away I go Date: 4/7/2003 6:57 PM
No no, my strategy is still secret.

Author: Whitsnow Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 794 of 794
Subject: Re: And away I go Date: 4/7/2003 7:29 PM
Recommendations: 2
No no, my strategy is still secret.

You Market Wizard, you.

My strategy is so secret, even I don't know what it is.

-Whit

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement