UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1961652  
Subject: Re: I've rethought my position Date: 12/17/2012 3:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 59
And do you have any compelling empirical evidence to support your *specific* policy recommendations?

States with gun control legislation have fewer deaths from guns:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/files/2012/07...

Where there are more guns there are more homicides (four cites):
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/research/hicrc/firearms-research...

Gun ownership is highest in the South. And deaths by gun assault are nighest in the South:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/files/2012/07...

Twelve myths about guns:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/14/n...

I'm sure none of this would be consider "evidence" by you, since it conflicts with your pre-ordained facts, which float remarkably free of reality. But there you have it.

What precisely should be done that you think would address the problem in a significant way?

1. Waiting period to purchase firearms.
2. Background check to purchase firearms.
3. Mandatory training to own firearms.
4. Require liability insurance riders for gun owners.
5. Registration; renewable annually, just like cars.
6. Close gun show purchase loopholes.
7. Eliminate assault and semi-automatic weapon purchases except for police and military personnel.
8. Mandatory trigger locks with purchase.
9. Eliminate high capacity clips.
10. Regulate sniper rifles (with very high power ammo)

Next, and let me predict, you will tell me that this isn't perfect, but it might not have stopped the massacre in Newtown. But then, it might have. Since we know "more weapons = more homicides", it follows that fewer weapons means fewer homicides. Putting mild disincentives in front of ownership of vastly lethal weapons would do exactly that, while not prohibiting ownership from sportsmen or others interested in ownership.

You show a similar disregard for specificity in your discussions of pretty much *all* regulation. For example, consider bank regulation. What specifically would have prevented the financial crisis that we had in 2008? And if you say that the CFMA and repealing Glass-Steagall caused the problem, what caused the financial crises in Europe?

Apparently it wasn't the CRA, to which you ascribe so much blame. I would say it was the unregulated financial markets in pursuit of short term financial windfalls. In Spain it was German banks. In Greece it was dysfunctional government. In the US it was non-existent insurance and irresponsible bond raters and absurd no-doc mortgage providers. Make a bank hold onto the loan, rather than bundling it and selling it off to hedge funds in Saudi Arabia, and the banks will look more carefully at who they lend to.

Make gun owners take more responsibility for their ownership, perhaps we will have fewer weapons floating around high schools. Just a thought.

We will *never* have enough regulation and government control over our lives for your tastes, because any "failure" is "proof" that there was not enough government control.

In your world there is never little enough. A failure of the world economic system is ascribed to a minor piece of legislation passed decades before that influenced 3% of the market. The massive deregulation of the banking system is considered irrelevant. More guns = less violence. Black is white. Up is down.

MadCap world is truly from another dimension. A dimension not of sight and sound, but surely not of mind. Next stop: a dystopia envisioned and championed by a dysfunctional and psychologically disturbed writer of fiction novels. With MacCap cheering all the way into the abyss.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement